"Wait, really?"

"I'll have you know, I am single, and I love mingling!"

I smiled.

"I need to go to class now, dragon. I'll see you later though."

I watched as his retreating form grew smaller and smaller, until he turned a corner. Dragon. I thought to myself. That's a new one.

☾❀☽

All morning I couldn't concentrate. In art class, Dan sat with me again, and I found it hilarious. The way that girls and boys alike tried to interest him and invite him to things, and he always declined. But he spent time with me. I kept on smiling.

I liked being near Dan. The guys who normally pushed me around stayed away.

But at lunch, Dan had to sit with a group of girls in the cafeteria. The invite had been extended to me too, but I turned it down.

I was pacing alone through a large group of kids, keeping my shoulders hunched and my head low.

I heard them talking. I only caught a few words. "It's Lester-" "-actually alone-"

I kept my cool until I heard them tossing around ideas of beating me up. Then I started getting scared.

I knew what was coming. I knew that this hallway was safe, there were teachers here, but that wouldn't last long.

I knew getting into my hiding spot would insure safety.

I started walking as quickly as my short legs allowed. I hoped to lose them, but I could hear their heavy footsteps coming behind me.

The classroom I normally hid in was locked. Sh*t sh*t sh*t.

I started running, no longer concerned about school policies.

I looked over my shoulder, and saw those two boys coming around the corner

I immediately felt fear and adrenaline course through my veins. They probably saw me! I ran into the bathroom, and locked myself in a stall.

I sat in the stall. I couldn't hold the tears back anymore. A few slipped out, but I tried to remain as quiet as possible.

I waited there for what felt what like an eternity. I started shaking when I heard the door open. I made myself as small and silent as possible, but it didn't seem to do the trick.

I heard heavy footsteps coming closer.

I whimpered quietly, burying my face in my arms.

"Hey, are you alright?"

I said nothing. A trick. I was going to get beat up. Again.

"Who's in there? You're okay. It's okay. Take a deep breath."

But then I recognized the voice.

"Dan?"

"Hey, sunshine."

"Dan." I let out a breath of relief.