The Mist

Author's Note: Uh, one? I'm back! Two: I know these events will not line up with the books. They're not supposed to, because in order to make this an authentic au fanfiction, it has to be an alternate universe!
"Percy..." Annabeth began. But Percy wasn't listening anymore. He was back in seventh grade, a few months after finding out he was a demigod. Back when he was still learning how to control and fully tap into his powers. Once, his mother had warned him not to tell anyone of his powers.
But he'd revealed them once.
"What are you supposed to be?" Asked Sasha Barrons, the most popular girl of the grade.
Back then, Percy himself was pretty popular, as the class clown.
It was the Halloween of seventh grade. There would be no forgetting today.
Sasha herself was dressed up as the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland. She'd completed the fit with a sparkling golden tiara rather than a crown, and a witch wand in place of the classic.
"I'm a demigod."
"A demo what?" She asked, curling her French manicured hands around her doll sized waist.
Percy shook his head. "Dem-ee. Like Demi Lovato. A Demi God."
"And what the heck is that?" Demanded Sasha's best friend, Amanda Ferris.
"It's when a God has a kid with a human, we get special powers and stuff," Percy explained, shrugging. "What are you guys?" He asked out of politeness.
Amanda was dressed as Alice.
"Well, I'm the princess of hearts." Explained Sasha, and Amanda is my handmaiden, Alice!"
Percy arched his eyebrows. "Isn't it the queen of hearts?"
She laughed. "Uh, no way! Queens have to do all the ugly work. Princesses always get what they want, and they're not old hags either!"
"Oh... Cool."
"Why are you dressed like you normally are if you're some half god dude?" Asked Amanda, tossing a lock of platinum hair behind her shoulder.
Percy looked around. Mostly everyone else was clumped up in their groups. Usually Percy did hang out with Sasha and the jock boys, but the rest of the gang was over elsewhere.
Except Percy's best friend in that year, Grover Underwood, was sitting alone by a bee infested apple tree. He wasn't very popular, but he had Percy's back. He wasn't sure he could say the same for anyone associated with Sasha.
Grover also looked like he'd been held back a few years. He already had a beard growing. But Percy knew the real reason. Grover was a satyr. It was Grover's secret, and Grover knew his. It was a satyr's job to keep a demigod alive through high school. The job apparently got harder the older you got, but Percy had only run into three monsters so far since discovering who his dad was last year.

Percy didn't really care.
"Well, can you two keep a secret?" He knew they couldn't, but he was tired of only having one of the least popular kids in school (no offense to him) know how awesome his powers really were.
Amanda and Sasha both expertly leaned in to block him from three sides with only two girls. "Of course we can!" Sasha whispered conspiratorially.
Percy grinned and looked at the water fountain sticking up by the trash cans at the park where the school took them for a picnic.

"Follow me." He commanded, setting off in that direction.
Sasha and Amanda followed him like boys followed them- usually.
By the water fountains, Percy focused his attention on the rush of water he felt in the pipes just below his feet.
Submerging himself in the familiar place of control, he pulled at the water, his gut tugging like he'd lassoed it to the water.
Suddenly the water found top flew off, water spewing up like it was a fountain.
Sasha screamed, and Amanda fainted.
Percy didn't know what else to do but catch her, even though his cheeks burned with embarrassment. He'd just meant to turn the water fountain on without pushing the button!

"Omg!" Screamed Sasha. "Did you plan that to happen? Was it a prank?" Realizing they'd think he was crazy for telling the truth, Percy shrugged, plastering on his trademark grin.

"Maybe it was." When the water fountain flew off, it attracted the attention of the entire seventh grade, and they all burst out laughing. Now it wasn't hard to really grin. Because if that had been a planned prank, it was totally awesome!
That was the day Percy realized even if he did cool tricks like that, nobody would know it was him. They'd believe, especially by twelve or thirteen, that he had some incredibly bad luck, or liked to mess around with water pipes. He never told a soul again. Add that weight to his shoulders.
Until today. Now Annabeth knew. And she could see through the mist.
He was snapped back by the thought of Annabeth. He jerked his head her way. "Did you say something?" He asked curiously, with a hint of obliviousness. Which he was.
She shook her head and rolled her eyes. "We'll talk later. I'm not in the mood to try and figure everything out right now."
Well then what are you in the mood for exactly?" Asked Percy, tilting his head to the side.
Annabeth eyed him. "I'm in the mood to forget Luke ever existed. And to forget that he ever touched me."
Percy arched his eyebrows. "You know you just-" his protests were cut off as Annabeth shook her head. "I know. But I don't care."

Percy laughed, perhaps a tad bit nervously. "Okay then." And then they were kissing. A kiss of need, bonding, trust. The pressure of feeling another so close and entwined with you was a comfort, and an escape.
That's the beauty in the mist. Not everyone can see what's out there. But everyone can feel what's inside.
And what did the new couple feel tonight?
Well, I guess you'll just have to read the next chapter to find out.