Chapter 11 (Part 2)

*Note: Click the Youtube link above to listen to the Audiobook Version of this chapter voiced by kaelking12 aka Kristen Maglonzo featuring music by Athlete, American Hi-Fi, Fall Out Boy, and Survivor.

Elias

"Yeah, I feel a lot better, actually. Thanks, Stacey. Really, thank you."

I'm so jazzed over the fact that my little guys no longer feel like they're verging on the edge of nuclear meltdown that I sit up off the table and pull Stacey into a bear hug. She's kinda squishy. Like momma bear squishy. It's nice. I miss my mom. I miss Jersey. I miss a lot of things.

"You alright, honey?"

I bury my head into Stacey's shoulder and leave it there longer than I probably should.

"Not really. I'm just having a really shitty day and I--kinda need a hug right now."

"Aw, I love hugs, darling! So hug away!"

This---

-is embarrassing.

Really embarrassing.

But today's generally been embarrassing so, I'm just gonna accept it.

Maybe it's a good thing Alex isn't here. She'd probably be even more turned off seeing me like this than she already is.

"Stacey?"

"Yes?"

"Can you not tell anyone this happened?" I ask.

Stacey and I pull away from each other she's got nothing but positivity pulsing through her smile.

"Of course! Your secret's safe with me! Otherwise I could lose my license for breaching patient confidentiality."

I like this rule.

"Great. So are we done here?"

I try sitting up but she reaches out and stops me mid-motion.

"Not yet. There's still a bit of house cleaning to do."

Stacey unwraps a pack of gauze and goes back to work under my gown. I don't even try to fight her about being near my nuts this time around. She's actually half decent at her job. Maybe she 

always has been. 

I guess I was just too busy being an asshole to her last year to notice. I probably should apologize. Maybe I will once she's done fixing my dilemma downstairs. 

Definitely less weird.

"The numbness will wear off in a few hours, but it's gonna be at least a week and half to two weeks before you're totally healed."

Two weeks. Nah, bro.

"Wait, does that mean I can't--?"

"Be sexually active?"

I mean, I wasn't gonna throw that out there point blank but okay.

"No. Well, kinda. The thing is, I'm not really with anybody right now. Not that I don't have options...I'm just--"

"Head over heels for that lovely young lady I saw leaving earlier?"

Yes. Completely.

"No. She's dating someone else now, anyway. But it's cool. I'm over it."

"If you say so, Pinocchio."

I really wish she wouldn't call me that given where her hands are right now.