chapter 18

December

this month was our prom . I had asked Aryanna to be my date and she was ecstatic . Normani was going with some dude but I wasn't going to show her that I was jealous . this will be my last dance and even if I wanted it to be with Normani , I know that won't happen . I just have to deal with the fact that she'll never try any harder to get me . after that day she sang to me , she completely avoided me . she didn't even make eye contact or look in my direction . I kinda missed it . she was the one that slayed my existence . everything about her just slays . no lie .

"you ready for tonight ?" ally asked me , as we got out of the car .

"hell no , I'm extremely nervous for some reason . I know it's not because of Aryanna ."

"maybe you're nervous on seeing Normani ." Camila whispered .

"shut up please . I don't want to talk about her ."

"well you look amazing . let's get in there and just dance . it's our last dance in high school and it needs to be memorable ."

I nodded and went in . our parents were chaperones because they wanted pictures of us on our last prom . I just hope they take some great photos of me . we walked in and everyone's attention was on us . by the time we reached the dance floor , our dates were waiting with an extended arm . ally and Camila took their date's hand and I hesitated a little . I was feeling insecure .

"baby , stop fretting . you look amazing tonight ."

I took her hand and she led me to the dance floor . I watched as everyone was dancing but I couldn't . it didn't feel right . out of all the people , I managed to find Normani hugged up on her date and I couldn't help but feel some jealousy . I wished this dance was over .

"Dinah Jane Hansen , come up
here and sing us a song ." one of the teachers announced , as everyone clapped . I took a deep breath before walking on the stage . I knew what I was going to sing but I didn't have anyone else to sing it with me because no one had a deep enough voice to match with my voice . I saw everyone grab their dates , getting ready for the music . I signaled the dj to start playing the music . everyone then started to dance slowly . I quickly took a breath before singing .

little do you know
how I'm breaking while you fall asleep
little do you know
I'm still haunted by the memories
little do you know
I'm trying to pick myself up piece by piece

little do you know
I need a little more time

underneath it all I'm held captive by the hole inside
I've been holding back for the fear that you might change your mind
I'm ready to forgive you but forgetting is a harder fight

little do you know
I need a little more time

I stopped singing to take a breather as I held the microphone and looked down at the floor . I felt like crying but then all of a sudden I heard a voice start singing . I looked up to find Normani was the one that was singing .

I'll wait, I'll wait
I love you like you've never felt the pain,
I'll wait
I promise you don't have to be afraid,
I'll wait
the love is here and here to stay
so lay your head on me

she held that microphone close to her and started to make her way towards me . I felt my breathing hitch .

little do you know
I know you're hurting while I'm sound asleep
little do you know
all my mistakes are slowly drowning me
little do you know
I'm trying to make it better piece by piece