Chapter 8 - We Are All Humans

Hearing loud clanging behind me, I focused my attention on Jessie and she was staring wide-eyed at the commotion happening at the back of the grocery store. Everyone didn't bother to stay and observe the scuffle of the two apeirons, hastily making their way to the broken glass doors, fearful for their lives.

I did the same, rushing towards Jessie who was still remaining in the same stunned state. "Jessie, come on, we have to move!"

I tugged on her arm, pulling her but instead of moving, she collapsed onto the ground. My body tilted sideways for a moment and I quickly balanced myself, frowning at Jessie.

"Jessie! What are you doing? We have to get out of here!"

"Is-isn't th-that, oh myyyy god."

Another loud clanging occurred behind us again and I saw the familiar energy beam shooting up against the ceiling. It hit against something in the dark, causing a frightening popping sound that resounded through the grocery store.

"Ah!" Jessie shrieked in surprise while I jumped, startled by the sound.

"Get up!" I exclaimed, pulling her up and she finally decided to raise herself off the floor. Sighing in relief, my relief was cut short when the area to my left started glowing eerily, probably because of the man's energy beams.

Before I could even react, the energy beam glowed even brighter until I was able to see it from the corner off my eyes as it shot straight towards the wall on my left. My eyes widened in horror as I observed the superhero, Omni, being slammed against the wall with the energy beam.

Recovering, he stood up and I watched the smoke raising off his abdomen, his hoodie burnt for a second time. Again, amazement was evident in my face as his skin transformed into the same silvery texture. Feeling eyes on my head, I raised my head up and I realised he was staring straight at me.

"What are you waiting for? Go!" He barked and I squeaked, quickly pulling Jessie up to her feet and dragging her towards the door.

"Oh my god, it's him! It's-" She squealed excitedly, digging her feet into the ground and resulted in me stumbling forward.

She has totally forgotten about how scared she was moments ago!

"Jessie! This isn't the time to be a superhero fanatic!" I growled, vexed and continued to drag her. I heard the two superhumans battling noisily in the background, trying my best to ignore them.

"It's Omni!" She squealed, completely in her own world now.

"Jessie!"

"Well, that's an odd friend you have there." An unknown feminine voice interrupted our conversation.

Tensing up, I turned my head towards the door, shrieking in alarm at a woman around my age, dressed in a light-blue spandex one-piece suit. It hugged her attractive figure perfectly and she gave me a wink, little baby blue stars decorating the right side of her face.