4)

"Eyes on fire" by Blue Foundation

***

By the time Portia and I were handing in our invitations to enter the exceptionally large convention center where the gala was held, I felt I needed a drink. My bad week coming off my breakup felt worse being surrounded by hundreds of well-dressed strangers. I felt massively under-dressed even though my kind boss kept informing me I looked great. Contrary to the many women who wore dresses studded in diamonds, rhinestones, and other crystallized material, I wore a simple floor-length black and grey zebra print gown that matched my masquerade mask well. My sweetheart neckline made the form-fitting gown look prettier than it was. My tall black heels brought my height to 5'6, and my dangle crystal teardrop earrings Portia borrowed to me probably cost more than my monthly paycheck. My lovely dark mane cascaded in gentle waves down my back after almost a full hour of styling. Even still, I felt I was entirely under-dressed for this event. Women glided past me in gowns decorated with expensive material or shorter cocktail dresses that expressed entirely too much cleavage. Each seemed to be made from fine rich materials that probably cost a couple thousand dollars at the very least.

"Oh my gosh, is that Tom Brady? That looked like Tom Brady. Denzel Washington? Oh my!" Portia gushed in a whisper. "This is a snazzy, snazzy place!"

Isla would have made the better companion for our boss for a night around celebrities. After more stressing phone calls from Aimee and my mother earlier in the day, I wasn't in a giddy type of mood to converse over who was or wasn't at this gala. This night felt more like obligation than a night of fun. I tried not to feel out of place as I walked, but it was difficult. Everyone looked overdressed compared to me. A tall dark-skinned man with honey-colored eyes grinned wolfishly towards my direction. I sidestepped out of hope he was eyeing someone else, but he wasn't. His stare made me suddenly self-conscious regarding my exposed cleavage.

"Now, you have with you your planner and anything you might need?" Portia questioned in a hushed voice as people were directed towards the large convention area.

"Yes, should I get going...?"

But Portia wasn't paying attention to what I asked as she waved me off. She was too busy eye-flirting with the man who had been watching me exclusively. Holding my purse tightly over my shoulder, I tried slipping off to the direction I saw Aimee head towards. It was hard navigating through the thick layers of body traffic as I tried to keep up with the woman. I had to give her credit; Aimee could move swiftly in heels. She slipped off down a long and narrow hallway and into an awaiting room. It wasn't until I was out of the massive hallway and following down the same corridor that Aimee had gone that I heard raised voices.

"What do you mean, refusing?? He cannot refuse!" Aimee's steely voice fumed. I stopped abruptly, not wanting to unintentionally eavesdrop on this conversation. Unfortunately, due to the heated argument, it wasn't something I could help.
"I am sorry, mother. He has refused to participate in any family event as long as this marriage is held over him," a gentler voice exclaimed, holding the same accent as Aimee.

"Held over him?" Aimee snapped. "Does your brother not understand how important this marriage is?!"

"I believe he's merely waiting for true love-"

"HA!" Aimee laughed cruelly. "No such thing is alive. Does he expect Gaia herself to hand-deliver a maiden of worth onto his doorstep?"
"It's not as though I have asked-"
"If your brother does not show up to this function I promise, he shall suffer the dear consequences of my wrath that makes mortals clench in fear at the very mention of my name-"

"Mother!" the other woman squeaked uncomfortably. "It appears we have a visitor."

I stopped walking towards the door abruptly. Aimee Waters was suddenly in the doorway, a steely gaze upon her as she watched me where I stood. "I suppose no one has ever informed you eavesdropping was wrong, wedding woman?"