Epilogue

Charlotte sighed as she walked to the antique mirror to check her appearance once more. She raked her hands through her curly hair and looked down at her stained carpet. She moved out of the motel the night Leonardo and Oliver were at the diner. She lived in a small house that had been in the town for decades. It had been a week since the death of one of her best friends, Leonardo. Only a week. Furthermore, it had been only five days since the death of her other best friend, Oliver. The pain was suffocating. It didn't hit her until a few hours after she received the news of Leonardo's death. Then, she was hit with a wave, no a tsunami, of pain. She felt like she couldn't breathe, and a weight was crushing her lungs. She got migraines, and stomach aches, and lost her appetite. He was killed by his own father. His own father shot him in the stomach after Leonardo told him he was gay. She was leaving her shift at the diner when she heard screaming. It had come from the woods, and it was a scream of agony. She ran into the forest toward the source of the sound, and she found Oliver, hunched over Leonardo's lifeless body. She screamed herself and ran to get help, tripping over every root. After that, Oliver had been distant. The only words he spoke to her after he told her what happened were, I miss him. Two days later, she received word that Oliver had shot himself in the head. The suicide letter was short, and the ink ran from Oliver's tears as he wrote it.

"Dear Charlotte,

You were the best friend I could have ever asked for. However, I love Leonardo, and I need to be with him. Please forgive me. We will both see you soon.

-Oliver."

She was destroyed, having lost the two most important people in her life. She screamed when she read the letter. The pain was a million times worse, with no one to share it with. She had to plan the entire joint-funeral by herself, with the help of Phil. Instead of a wedding together, they would have a funeral together. She was also angry. Infuriated. She couldn't believe that Leonardo died at the hands of his own father. All because he fell in love. She wrote a letter specifically to Sonora, asking her not to come. Elias was in prison, convicted of second degree murder. It wasn't premeditated, but it was intentional. She didn't care. She pounded her fist on the old, cracked desk that was underneath the mirror and screamed. It wasn't fair. They were two of the best men she had ever met. She composed herself, and sighed once more. She grabbed her house keys, and walked out the small, rickety door, to the funeral for her two best friends. Gone, because of a lack of understanding and acceptance. Gone for loving someone. Gone for nothing.