Introducing Oliver

"Are you ok?" The stranger inquired. "You took quite a spill."

"Yes, I'm ok," I replied.

I looked up to thank him, but I was frozen when I saw him. He had dark ash hair, and electric blue eyes, that were full of life and light. He had strong jawline with high cheekbones. He was tall, maybe 6'2", with broad shoulders. He was absolutely gorgeous.

"Do you need help?" The beautiful stranger questioned.

"No I'm ok, thank you."

"I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Oliver. You are?"

"I'm Leonardo. It's nice to meet you Oliver."

"Leonardo is too long. Can I call you Leo? I'm going to call you Leo. Pleasure to meet you, Leo."

I laughed, "Leo is fine. I guess by that logic I should call you Oli."

He clapped his hands together once, "Then it's settled! I'm Oli and you're Leo."

I looked down at my now muddy brown shirt, and frowned.

"Are you new here?" Oliver wondered. "I haven't seen you around."

I laughed, annoyed and angered at my mother. It was a small town, where everyone knew everyone. I was the one exception.

"No," I answered. "I'm not new. I've lived here all my life. Do you happen to know the big white house up the hill? That's where I live. I've never been allowed into town. My mother's rules. She takes the good out of my life."

I paused, shocked that I had just confessed all of that to a stranger.

"I'm terribly sorry. I don't know why I said that. I barely know you!" I frantically added.

"No, it's ok!" He responded reassuring. "Wait. Leo who lives in a big white house, up on the hill. Leonardo Summers?"

"Yes," I answered the wheels in my head turning. "Oliver. Oliver Skies?"

"Yes! Leo! How have you been? It's been what, six years?"

"Yeah. I can't believe it," I answered dumbfounded. Oliver had been my best friend when I was 12 years old. After that my mother told me I couldn't hang out with him anymore. We had been so close. I told him everything, and here he was, standing right in front of me.

"Your mother was something. She was the reason we stopped playing together, right?"

"Yes. My mother is something," I mumbled bitterly.

"Hey, I get it. I understand. My father was the same way. He despised me because I didn't want a wife. So once I turned eighteen, I left. I've been gone for only a month, but it's been the best month of my life."

"I turn eighteen in seven days," I thought aloud.

"You could leave! I'm staying in the local motel. You could stay!"

"Yeah," I daydreamed. "I'd be free. Maybe I'll stay just for the week to take a break from my parents. Then on my birthday, I'll leave."

"Exactly! In the meantime, I say we go to the clothes shop right down the street to get you a new shirt. You said you've never been to town. I'll show around."

"Ok! Sounds like a plan."