The Forest

"You will marry her, Leonardo! End of story!" my mother hissed.

"I will not. I will never marry her, or anyone else that you choose. I don't love her," I whispered in a small voice.

"Leonardo, listen to your mother. Do not disrespect her," my father spoke up. He was a short man, with a plump physique. I got my hazel eyes from him, but my cornsilk hair from my spindly mother.

I wasn't listening though. I was already making my way towards the blinding white screen door that my mother insisted was cleaned twice a day. It was ridiculous, as hardly anyone used that back door. We rarely had visitors and mother disapproved of me venturing into the forest behind our large, white house. She said I would get filthy, and track mud into her pristine kitchen that she never cooked in. As I reached for the handle, I felt a small hand seize my wrist. I looked behind me and saw the gaunt and furious face of my mother, eyes dark, and jaw clenched. I pulled away and ran out into the forest to think. I heard my mother calling after me, and my father trying to calm her down. I didn't care. I dug my heels into the ground even harder than before. I felt the cool morning air on my face, and the warmth of the now rising sun. I felt more alive than I had in a long time. My mother forbade the forest when I was thirteen. I always listened to her, and I never tried to sneak out to the life-filled woods again. Being cooped up in that house made me feel like a prisoner. I felt dead and empty. Now, being out here, I felt alive, and my chest was full of fresh air. I felt free.

I found a large oak tree and made my way to the top. I needed to think. Once I reached the top, I positioned myself on a thick, sturdy branch. Mother wanted me to marry a girl named Charlotte Evans. She was a beautiful, petite, girl, with mahogany hair, and emerald orbs for eyes. She had a spray of freckles across her nose. She had a good sense of humor, and she was extremely kind. Mother didn't care for her because she spoke her mind, which apparently wasn't lady like. The only reason Mother wanted me to marry her was because she would make money from it. Charlotte's father was a successful businessman, and my mother offered me as a husband so she would benefit from his income. Charlotte was my friend, but nothing more. Father gets frustrated with me for not showing a keen interest in finding a wife. He didn't know my secret though. Neither did mother. They would never accept it. I debated on whether or not I should go back. I had nothing with me. Not even a fresh pair a clothes. I didn't want to go back to my mother, but I decided that I needed to. I wouldn't stay for long. I will sneak out soon. With clothes, food and some money, as I only had a few hundred dollars with me. I remembered that I wasn't far from town, though, and decided to head there, as I had not been for years. As I was climbing down the old oak, a small beetle crawled on my hand, and rested there.

"Hello there, Mr. Beetle," I laughed. "You're a very beautiful beetle. Your blue wings are gorgeous. Well, it was nice meeting you. I haven't met anything else that could breathe in years. Except for my mother and father. Goodbye."

I put my new friend in the still slightly dewy grass, and he skittered under the tree that I was just perched upon. I started to make my way toward the edge of the forest. As I reached the clearing, I tripped on a large tree root. I landed face first into a puddle of mud, soiling my white shirt. Mother would be furious. As I started to pick myself up, I heard a smooth voice.