John knew what Henri's next words were, and he mouthed them behind a drink of water when Henri said them: "Be careful." 

Marina nodded, setting down her mug and grabbing her backpack. "Don't worry, I'll make sure he doesn't get into trouble." 

Henri laughed, and John stuck his tongue out at Marina, following her out the door. 

Once outside, Marina turned to John. "How in Mogadore's name did he see us?" she hissed. 

"I don't know," John replied as they ran down the path, keeping pace with her. "I just hope he didn't call Sheriff James on us."

***

Sarah sat on her porch, shuffling through her notes for English. She heard a car pull up, but she didn't bother looking up. She looked through her phone, saw an answering text from John: "We're fine. We left after Marina took care of the one guy." 

Sarah smiled, glad the two of them were safe. She then heard a familiar voice. "Miss Hart." 

Slowly, Sarah's smile began to disappear. She looked up to see Sheriff James in front of her. "I heard that you were with Mr. Smith, Mr. Goode, and Miss Nightshade last night." 

"I was," Sarah replied cautiously. "Why?" 

"Miss Hart, John Smith and Marina Nightshade are not who you think they are."

***

Marina checked her phone, then looked up at the house in front of them. "This is it." 

Shouting was heard from inside, and John winced. "Doesn't exactly sound like a fun place." 

The door banged open, and both Lorics blinked when they stood face to face with Sam's stepfather. "So are you the two my son's been telling me about that were coming over?" he asked. 

Marina raised an eyebrow. "Got a problem with that, sir?" 

Sam appeared behind his stepfather, looking as nervous as heck. His stepfather growled, then pointed away from the house. "In the garage, and only for a few minutes," he spat. "Go on!" 

John looked ready to flip him off, so Marina grabbed his arm and dragged him off after Sam, who was running to the garage. 

She slid to a halt when she entered and saw that Sam was pointing a rifle right at them. "Whoa, whoa, whoa!" she gasped, letting go of John's arm and putting a hand on her holster. "What the hell, Sam?" 

"What you did, Marina," Sam sputtered, trying to look confident and failing miserably, "stopping a knife in midair and hurling it with that much strength and electrocuting him . . . that's not normal. And John . . . flashlights, really?" 

"Sam," John started, holding his hands up. "Put the gun down." 

"You fire that, I can fire back," Marina added, slowly inching her gun out of its holster. 

"I've got photo evidence," Sam burst out, and Marina almost dropped her gun in shock and horror. "I'll share them, and no one will trust you guys!" 

John moved so fast, Marina couldn't see him for a few seconds. Sam was wringing his hand out, and John tossed the rifle to Marina. She caught it, setting it down behind her. John held his hand out, eyebrows raised pointedly. "Give me the phone." 

Sam shook his head, moving back. Marina saw him put one hand behind his back, and while his attention was on John, she inched after him. "No. Not unless you tell me the truth!"