Six

E S M E E

"There is no sign of forced break in, but we test the paper for DNA. Call you in a couple of days miss" The officer tipped his hat and left. I was by myself again, I haven't told Luke about it yet. I don't want him to be informed just yet, its going to be heartbreaking knowing someone killed his best friend.

Work called me earlier saying if I didn't come in today then I've lost my job, which has happened. I can't afford rent, food or bills. My life has gone down a very steep hill.

The only options are going to my mothers or Lukes. My mother is not an option, she wants me there so I can look after the house whilst she goes on endless holidays and that's not my duty as a daughter. But I didn't want to be a burden to Luke, he is my only option though.

My brain kept flicking between don't call him and call him like a broken light switch.

"Luke?" I twisted the cord that attached my house phone to the wall.

"Hey Esmee" It sounded like he had just woken up, his Australian accent was much thicker and deeper.

"Sorry if I just woke you, I have something to ask you"

"No it's fine, I don't mind waking up to you" Luke laughed, I simply held back my smile.

"Smooth, but could I sleep at yours for maybe a while? I've lost my job and my land lord has given me three days to get out"

"Sure Esmee, you're welcome here any time. Do you need help packing?"

"Yes please, see you soon" I ended the conversation and he said a goodbye as I hung up.

-

"Everything has gone to shit since he died" I mumbled as I threw everything off my dresser into a box.

"With a sweet mouth like yours I hate to hear you swear" Luke raised his eyebrows and I kicked him lightly in the shin.

"Sorry dad" I taunted and he smirked. Luke picked up a picture of me and Michael. "Keeping things around like this won't help you move on, Michael wouldn't want you to be hung up on him"

"I don't want to move on Luke, he was a massive part of my life and he can't disappear just like that!" I shouted becoming angry at a picture. "He was a everything" Whispering the last part Luke cuddled me as I cried once again.

Crying was the worst part of mourning, you feel weak and stupid but you can't help the dryness in your throat and your bloodshot eyes. Screaming came after, you wondered if there was a reason for his passing. Everyone says everything has a reason but an innocent man being killed has none.

"I'm sorry for shouting Luke, I miss him so much" Luke kissed the top of my head and left his forehead resting there, it comforted me just a little bit because Michael would do the same thing.

"Don't be sorry, I'm going to help you Esmee"

-

Thank you for 600 reads ahhH <3 ive got things planned for this book.