The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black

Dinner with the Blacks was the most stressful event Harry had ever participated in, and he had been a champion in the Tri-wizard Tournament AND had to do the opening dance at the Yule Ball. However, sitting at a table with 25 aristocrats was nerve wracking.

What he had perceived as simple small talk at first turned out to be pure politics, and the longer he spend in their presence, the more he worried about the possibilities of poison in his cup. Sirius and Alphard both stayed dutifully by his side the entire time and guided his answers as subtly as they could. It was still obvious to everyone present that Harry wasn't used to Pureblood etiquettes.

"Are you sure your mother was a Black, dear?" Irma Black, Alphard's mother, teased.

"Harry never knew his parents, mother," Alphard replied calmly as he poked his meat with a bored expression.
"Hadn't I told you yet? They both died protecting Harry when Russian Hit-wizards attacked them. His father was a great Auror, you see and he singlehandedly took down many dealers who sold illegal magic to muggles. So many even that he had to go into hiding."

The woman didn't look ashamed at all as she was set straight. She pursed her lips together, and the eager glint in her eyes told Harry she was eager to press for more information. Information Harry couldn't give.

"Irma, please," Dorea Potter sighed.
"You know just as well as I that the Potters are not as cold a family as we are. I can see a lot of them in him and indeed very little of our side. But that is a good thing."

She smiled kindly at Harry while the man next to her grinned jovially. Harry didn't even need to know he'd be present to know that was Charlus Potter, his father's uncle. The famous messy Potter hair was indeed a few shades lighter, as were his kind grey eyes, but the face and glasses were exactly the same as what Harry had seen from pictures of his father. The familiar face gave him courage and he turned back to Irma with a polite smile.

"What Alphard says isn't entirely true," he confessed.
"My father wasn't alone in this endeavour. Uncle Sirius and he were always partners, and they were brothers even long before my parents married."

Charlus turned his eyes on Sirius and gave him a supportive grin.

"It must have been terrible to lose them both so early in life," the man sighed.
"I've personally never really known my uncle, but dad told us many great things about him. He was a free spirit and a brave man."

"That, he was," Sirius mumbled.

"At least I was finally able to meet my cousin!" Charlus exclaimed cheerfully, grinning at Harry.
"Now I have something to brag about at home. I got to meet you before Fleamont did!"

"I don't think that's much to brag about," Harry muttered blushing.
"I'm nothing special you know. Just Harry."

"And just Harry just happens to be an amazing Seeker," Walburga cut in proudly.
"Best one I've seen in all my years at Hogwarts. I bet even outside the school there would be few who can best him."

"A true Potter then!" Charlus laughed.
"We've always been sports men! My-our grandfather used to be a Professional Player. Founded the Chudley Cannons, believe it or not."

Harry's eyes widened and he grinned when he thought of Ron's reaction when he told him about that little titbit. The redhead was probably the biggest Cannons fan in the UK.

"I sincerely hope the boy isn't planning on pursuing such a fleeting career as Quidditch player," Arcturus sneered from the other side of the table.

"It's my plan C, if I don't make it into Auror Training," Harry answered shrugging.
"I love Quidditch, but to be honest it's the flying alone that has charmed me the most about the sport. I love being in the air and feel the wind. It's a sense of freedom you can't replicate on the ground."