The Chamber of Secrets

The day started out well enough. Harry had been talking with Alphard over breakfast. The dark haired boy was explaining his plans on taking Hermione out into Hogsmeade next weekend. He'd go all out, make it really romantic, the exact type of thing girls like, and then top it off with a little tour through the big bookshop. He'd buy whatever books she liked and be amazed by her knowledge on any subject already. Usually, he'd have to fake his wonder, but he assured Harry with a wide grin that Hermione never failed to truly amaze him, and that was what he liked about her so much.

Michael had sneered at the whole thing, saying the thought alone, about a Black with a Weasley made him queasy. Alphard could do better, he'd said, but neither Alphard nor Harry had the chance to set him straight. Megan had glared at her childhood friend and regular duelling partner so venomously that the boy had paled and muttered his apologies.

"You're right. Weasleys aren't that bad, I'm just channelling my sister. Don't listen to me," the boy had muttered blushing.

"Damn straight no one's listening to you," Megan hissed as she threw her long brown hair over her shoulder in a dismissive gesture.
"And if you're interested to know, Ronald actually asked me out too. Officially. It was really cute."

"Didn't he ask you out for the New Year's party?" Avery asked confused.

The girl smirked devilishly ad twirled a lock of her hair between her fingers coyly.

"I asked him that time," she admitted easily.

Harry grinned widely and nodded his head in approval. She and Ron fit well together. The redhead could use the challenge an independent and strong feminine figure like Megan showed. Ron was someone who needed to be pushed, to be tested in ways an apple pie housewife couldn't. He'd be bored out of his mind if he were with a girl like that, but someone like Megan would keep him on his toes, and in return, he'd challenge Megan.

Harry looked over at Tom, wanting to comment on how well their friends were getting along when he saw his lover's scowl. His smile fell and he frowned. Tom had been quiet all morning. In fact, he hadn't even bothered to look at Harry since last night, and it worried Harry considerably. Had he done something wrong, or was this just Tom being stubborn again and silently freaking out about having feelings? Harry shrugged his shoulders and turned back towards the conversation. He couldn't think of anything he could have done to make Tom angry, so it was likely the second anyway.

The scream of terror breaking through their fun little breakfast conversation sort of ruined the mood though. Harry jumped up immediately, Alphard and Michael rushing right behind him as he made his way through the curious masses towards whoever had screamed. To his growing worry, they found Rosetta Diggory looking pale and trembling as she cried on the youngest Prewett brother's shoulder. The girl's friends were all huddled around, but oddly, Harry couldn't see July between them.

Hermione came to stand next to him, having shoved some people out of the way to get there. She gasped in horror as she saw what was really going on. Harry looked over, finding his friend looking sick. Her eyes were wide in fear and horror and her face was entirely ashen.

"Hermione?" he asked softly.

Hermione didn't look at him, instead, she pointed a trembling finger towards the other side of the hallway. Harry followed her line of sight and released his own horrified gasp. On the floor, next to a puddle of water, lay July, her eyes still wide in fear and her mouth opened in a silent scream.

"All students, out of the way!" they heard Dumbledore call out.

Harry moved slowly, completely numb in shock as he continued to stare at the girl he considered his friend. Only yesterday, he and July had been having fun together when studying in the library. They had a great talk, and July had confessed her feelings while Harry had proceeded to explain his relationship with Tom. The girl hadn't been jealous, and if she had been upset at all, she hadn't shown it. She had been so friendly and supportive.