42.0 Zero_Chapter 12: Intentions

Start from the beginning

"Yes. For whatever reason, they are working together. In fact, the only reason I can say this is because you've already heard their names and arrived at the same conclusion. Which reminds me, how is your son?"

The queen's gaze fell. "His physical health is fine but as for his mental state...well, it will need some time to remedy."

"He doesn't trust us anymore, does he?" asked the Goddess.

The queen shook her head. "No. This experience has thoroughly shaken everything he believed in. He's locked himself in his room and won't let anyone in. Not even Ms. Taiker."

The Goddess looked out the window. "So many questions...this whole thing has been a confusing mess. The Hero and the Demon Lord, two entities that should have been at each others' throats, worked together to bring down the Air kingdom because they didn't like the bonded laborer system? They both came to me to get their blessings. How could they endure letting their mortal enemy get stronger? How could they possibly resist the pull of Fate? And that's not even the most confusing part..."

"What could be more confusing than that, exalted one?"

"I confronted them to buy you some time. Just before you surrounded them with your guards, I blew out the candles and tried to take down the other members of their party but...I was blocked by something. In the end, I could do nothing but leave empty-handed."

The old lady frowned. "But two members of their party disappeared? If you didn't take them away, where did they go...and why?"

"The Demon Lord went to the catacombs. He slid through the shadows and rushed there as if he knew the place like the back of his hand. He knocked out the masters and riled up the laborers even before they were released. Then he led them to the surface as the catacombs began to cave in. By the time we fell to the ground, he had already rescued every single laborer."

The old lady's eyes widened. "And the other one?"

The Goddess closed her eyes, as if contemplating something. "She went somewhere else. Unfortunately, I cannot reveal much more than that. Please forgive me."

"No, no exalted one!" said the old lady frantically. "It is I who should apologize for prying into your matters. Please, allow me to apologize for my transgressions."

"It is fine." The Goddess walked up to the window. "Besides, that's not the worst thing that's happened to me today."

"I understand. The deaths of your people must be weighing down on you, oh merciful one! But do not worry, no one will doubt that you did everything in your power to-"

"That's not it."

"My Goddess?"

"I almost wish that were the case..."

The queen blinked in surprise. "Did something even worse happen, oh Exalted One?"

The Goddess' figure vanished and a gust of air blasted through the room. "You'll see..."

The Queen stood near the window for a while; frozen not just by her respect and reverence for the Goddess, but also by her confusion. She stood up with a jerk as someone knocked on the door of the throne-room.

"Enter," she said, in a regal and majestic voice that conveyed her authority and status.

"My Queen," said the guard as he entered the room and bowed low. "The damage reports you requested are in."

The Queen nodded her head slowly. She sat down on the throne and brought out a bottle and a glass from her Storage. She poured herself a drink and gulped it down quickly.