26.0 Grayscale_Chapter 6: Ash

I felt a throbbing pain in my head.

I couldn't see anything.

My eyes were open but I still couldn't see anything.

It was like the whole world had been consumed by darkness and there was nothing I could do to light it up.

I was the Hero. The embodiment of Light. The embodiment of Hope, Faith, Love and Kindness.

But now all I could feel was despair.

I was suffocating.

I could breath but I was still suffocating.

Sharp pains tore through my lungs as if I'd inhaled tiny shards of glass.

The suffocating darkness was everywhere. Both inside and outside me. In fact, it was amazing that I was still alive.

Or maybe that wasn't a good thing?

Well, it didn't matter anymore. I'd die here soon enough.

I'd die alone in a world of darkness.

In a world of despair.

In a world of ash.

It would be a quiet death. I couldn't struggle, couldn't make a sound.

And the world was silent anyway. The Hero was going to die beneath a wall of ash but nobody made a sound.

The world didn't shake in agony or wrath.

No god descended to save me.

I didn't suddenly find some hidden talent or strength that would let me burst through the darkness.

I was Lily Grayscale. A lowly street urchin. A friendless orphan. A pitiable thief.

I was no Hero.

I was just...me.

In that quiet world of suffocating darkness and despair, I lay perplexed.

Was I happy that I was going to die? I'd never wanted to be a Hero. I'd never wanted to be in the spotlight.

I liked being in the shadows. To go by unnoticed.

So perhaps this was a fitting death.

I'd die all alone in the dark. A fitting end for a person like me.

My thoughts went silent, mimicking the silence of the world around me as I waited for my death.

But in that world of suffocating darkness, despair and silence, I heard something.

A whisper that I could barely make out.

"......rewrite"

The darkness, the despair, the silence, it all vanished like a bad dream.

I looked around to see two brown haired children lying against the wall, a red haired girl lying frozen on the ground and a black haired boy glaring at someone wearing purple robes and really tacky glasses.

"H-hey Kai." I said, barely managing to squeeze out the words.

"Hmm?" he replied, fixing his glasses.

"Fuck you."

-

"So he's gone?" asked Runir.

"Yeah, looks like it. Disintegrated into a trillion pieces. All that ash you guys were covered with came from his body, after all." replied Kai.