41.0 Grayscale_Chapter 16: Smoke

"I suppose that migraine was a blessing in disguise. And here I was, disappointed that I couldn't attend the Exhibition. Praise the Goddess, her foresight is magnificent," said the Queen.

"Mother?" said Gale. "These people aren't bad. You don't have to-"

"Hush boy! Letting yourself get kidnapped so easily. And inside the sacred shrine of all places! Disgraceful. I'll need to redouble your training since it is so obviously inadequate," she snapped.

Gale's face paled and he dug into Kai's side. It said a lot about someone if their own kid would rather stick to their kidnappers than their own mother.

The Queen frowned. "Silly boy. Guards, apprehend these criminals and rescue the king!"

The guards readied their weapons and charged at us. Some of them held torches, shedding a flickering orange glow around the room. The shiny, metal ceiling reflected the torchlight, casting rays of light across the somewhat dimly lit room.

Kai blew out his own torch and threw it away. "Anyone wanna watch a little magic trick? I'm about to make myself..."

He waved a hand and all the torches blew out.

"...disappear!"

The room was engulfed in darkness again. I felt a strong pull around my waste and barely managed to hold in a shout of surprise as I felt myself hurtle through the air.

"Go! I'll hold them off. You need to get to the top and destroy that master-key. And don't worry about me, I'll be fine," shouted Kai.

He pushed me forward and I found my hands resting on two shoulders. I resolved myself and ran forward while urging the kids to follow me. We carefully made our way up, feeling out the stairs because it was too dark to see.

Despite being the most technologically advanced kingdom on Erath, the Air Kingdom never managed to make a freaking light bulb. Guess science doesn't work the same way everywhere.

"We're here," said Gale as he pushed open a small wooden door.

The door swung open, revealing a lavishly decorated room. A rich carpet, intricately embroidered curtains, an ornately carved wooden bed and expensive sheets and furniture; just what you'd expect from the room of the king.

However, there were quite a few surprises inside that made it apparent why no one but royalty could come up here. Next to sophisticated oil paintings of ancient kings and queens hung posters of famous singers and celebrities. The rich carpet was stained in several places, the curtains had holes in them and the bed sheets were in disarray.

And of course, there was something downright strange inside.

"Your Highness!" We were greeted by a familiar voice.

"Ezu?" Gale said, dumbstruck.

Floating in the center of the room was a translucent head. It belonged to the scientist who had been hosting the Exhibition at the shrine- Ezure Taiker. The projection was coming from a communications prism that was embedded inside the coffee table in the center of the room.

Do they have cameras on the kid too? That's just creepy. A little sad too I guess. The king's a prisoner in his own castle.

"Your Highness, please listen to reason! You know why we can't let these terrorists-"

She was interrupted by the sound of something breaking. Sparks flew out as the communications prism broke into pieces.

"Shut up!" cried Zoe, still pointing her air gun at the coffee table.