Dancing With Strangers (14)

Start from the beginning

"Ooh," she exclaimed as the cold water touched her hand.

"The water is ice cold," she told him feeling the numbness in her hand. He didn't reply seemingly busy in expecting a stone he'd picked up.

"I’m going to carve our names on this thing," he smiled as he said.

"We're not supposed to ruin the beauty of this thing," she scolded him.

"We're not ruining it. We're adding to the magic. Evelyn," he said playfully. She watched as he carved the two initials of their names on the marble with the stone. it was thrilling to think that they had the same initials.

"That looks beautiful," she breathed as he threw away the stone.

"I can promise you one thing, Evelyn. No matter what happens. I will love you. Always and forever," he smiled at her as he said it.

I looked around me frantically wondering if all I had seen had been a dream but I was sure it wasn't. I coughed feeling a bit weird. I gripped Shane's hand tightly as I felt dizzy. I fought hard to stay conscious. I succeeded but felt overwhelmed. It seemed like everything was moving in slow motion. Blackness was edging my vision.

"Are you okay?" I heard Shane's voice as he placed his hands on my forearms.

"Yeah. I'm fine," I said in a meek voice and shook my head.

"Come on let's go inside," he said taking my arm. I had an unbearable headache.

 When Shane left me in my room, a thought struck me. I knew what I had seen was not a dream. It was a vision - from my past life. I didn't know how I was so sure it was a flashback but a lot of things fell into place.

It was impossible and upon all things, insane but I knew I had to figure things out on my own. There wasn't anyone who was going to answer my questions. It did explain my dreams and the feelings of Déjà vu I felt. But I couldn't be sure. After about an hour of thinking, I discarded the idea.

What else explained the vision?

I was relieved that Derek had not visited me. I knew that a small part of me loved him still but the anger and hate that was surfacing from the depths of my heart was enough to drive me insane.

"Hello princess."

Derek's voice knocked me out of my thoughts the following day. I looked up at him trying not to show I was afraid. He was smiling at me mischievously and wickedly. I kept quiet and looked at him with a questioning look on my face.

"I think you're getting lonely," he said in a teasing tone as he walked over to my bed.

“What do you want?

"Always so eager," he smiled then added. "This time I really want something from you."

What now?

"What?" I asked in a bored tone.

"You see, Evelyn, I have a bit of a reputation here in this place and I like to socialize-"

"And torture people," I heard and then recognized my own voice.

He considered this for a terrifying moment. I saw his jaw tighten but losen a second after.

"I am in a good mood today so I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that.Anyway you might have noticed the main hall room downstairs. Have you?" he said in a toneless voice.

"I have. I saw it the last time I was here," I said slowly.

"Yes of course you did. So there is going to be a ball in the main hall room also known as the ball room."