Chapter 8

David POV

"Having the water in the background would make a pretty picture..." Violet actually seems to be thinking about this reasonably, a mix of beauty and strength in a building, a good idea.

"True, but it's not only about beauty. It's also about expenses and where it's the most convenient for the targeted 'audience'. It's mostly for young adults, but also for the middle-aged people to relax and for the more 'active' retirees to play." She's not listening. "Violet? Hello?"

"Yeah?" Her voice is breathy, like if she got interrupted in the middle of a daydream.

"You listening?" Her face twists into an apologetic frown.

"Not really."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry! I'm just...not..." She struggles to find the word. "Not into this type of thing." She looks around and laughs. "Do you know where we are?"

"No. Yes, but why is that important?"

"Here's where you put that note in my pocket."

"Really?"

"Yes. Come." She pulls me across the street and into an Italian restaurant. From the outside it looks shabby and small, inside it's really classy and it's actually really big. It has two floors and a dining balcony.

"Shi-it..." She smile at the waiter who seats us and gives us our menus. I'm trying to figure out what half the things are, as Violet hands him the menu and says in a silky voice. "Spaghetti Bolognaise et du vin rouge. Avez-vous des suggestions?"

And the waiter grins at her and goes to get her a bottle. When she sees it she laughs a tinkly, flirty laugh and looks at him through her eyelashes. "Oui, celle-là est bonne. Merci."

He pours he a glass and I point at mine. Who is this b***ard, flirting with my girl?

"And for you?"

"I want the ravioli-lamb."

"That all?"

"Yes."

"Pourrais-je avoir un dessert? De vôtre choix."

He blushes. What is she saying? I really need to learn French. Finally he leaves.

"What the hell was that about? You bring me here to watch you flirt with the waiter? Seriously?"

"Jordan, this isn't a date. I'm hungry and I know the server, we went to psychology class together. But we both only got our bachelor's before we gave up. We're really good friends. Calm down."

She sips her wine and ignores me pointedly until the food comes.

"So, after this I'm going to the mall for my costume."

"Who are you-what are you dressing up as?"

She grins.

"I can't tell you, it'll be more fun that way."

"Can I see it?"

"Nope." The waiter comes back and leans down to whisper in her ear. From this angle I can tell that his face is too close. Shut up Jordan. If you really need to know; it tickles. She smiles at whatever he's saying and nods.

"Thanks so much! I won't forget." She takes out her phone and he gives her his. They're obviously trading numbers. Right. In. Front. Of. Me. Relax! Being jealous isn't hot. And it's none of your business who I trade numbers with. You aren't my boyfriend. Yet. No, you're just not.

I clear my throat loudly and the waiter jumps.

"Jordan!" Violet glares at me. "Excusez-le. Il est ignorant."

She stands and he -whatever his name is- pushes in her chair. She turns to look at me. "Give me five minutes, okay?" Doesn't wait for an answer, just ups and leaves in the middle of lunch. Fine, it isn't a date, but still, right in the middle of a meal? Come on! Now she's laughing and touching his arm. They're so close together. What is it with her and guys? They text her, they hit on her, they look at her, they talk to her...and she flirts back! Why is she doing this??