Chapter 4

David POV

"Jordan, get out." The venom in her voice is threatening. Silently laughing at her innocence I walk to the foyer and close my eyes. I want to see if I can hear Violet coming close. I wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and- SMASH! I find her mind and project. What was that for? I hear the sarcasm in her voice.

"' That' was for looking. So, are you ready to play?"

The suggestion in her voice is vague and I remember the first time we kissed: She had said the same thing, but meant the X-box, and somehow I was too close and her hands were on my arms. I reached towards her, running my fingers through her short hair. And her face was right there; so I kissed her. Her mouth had made a tiny 'o' of surprise and a soft breath passed thru her lips.

"Hello? Anybody home?"

And now, there she is, standing in front of me, all curves and beautiful, her hair grown out, all brown and shiny; instead of pink and purple and blonde all mixed on her head in no order at all. Dyed in uneven chunks...

"Jordan? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Good. And now," she smirks, "now we play."

Before Violet can react, I reach out and grab her arm, pulling her toward me. She resists, twisting out of my grip.

"You're better than I thought!" She laughs, sliding over the bed, onto the other side. "Catch me if you can!"

I lean left, she leans right, I tense to jump, she tenses to run, and it goes on. Finally, after an hour, I collapse onto the bad.

"I give up! You win." Violet plunks down beside me.

"You never give up!" She rolls onto her stomach. "That wasn't fun."

Her lips pout and she takes down her hair, the curve of her back, her shirt riding up and exposing part of her back.

"Violet?"

"Yes?"

"Since when do you have a tattoo?"

She twists to look at her lower back.

"Oh, that's not all of it. Didn't you notice it earlier?"

"No, it was dark in your room and you were partly hidden in the closet."

"Oh."

"Can I see the whole thing?"

"Um, not really."

"Why?"

"Because it's on my back, stomach and a little lower then I'd feel comfortable showing you right now. Sorry."

"Well could I see the part on your back at least?"

She hesitates. "Okay."

"Violet, I won't ask to touch it; if that's what you're worried about."

Her whole posture relaxes, don't I know her well ( !! ), "Okay, thanks."

She stands up, her back to me and pulls her shirt over her head. The upper part of her back is covered by an eagle, his wings wrapping around to the front of her body. The eagles talons are caught in vines, and they twist down, disappearing under her shorts. " And the vines go where exactly?"

She blushes, "All but one end in little curls. The last one turns into a flower on my hip. But you can't see it."

"Did you get it done in one shot?

Her shirt back on, she sits on the bed cross-legged.

"Yeah, all in one go. But I was really upset."

kiss her, kiss her now. The voice tells me. you'll never get another chance. I look at Violet, her face and mind closed, but her mouth seems t be asking. And that's when her lips press against mine. I did NOT expect that.