Language

There is not one thing in this current society that can be said and not hurt someone's feelings. We are so sensitive to words that do not even have anything negative about them. You can no longer say the words white and black in a normal conversation without someone saying "You're racist." Even singing the classic Christmas song, Deck the Halls, some people giggle at the fact that the lyrics say the word gay. Even though the context is not even remotely close to matching the meaning that they are thinking about.

Now, being everyone is saying: "That's racist," or "Sexist," or "Homophobic" in the wrong context, we should start calling everything out to demonstrate how ridiculous they sound. Next time someone says something, simply reply with a negative phrase that the word used would fall under. For example, if someone says, "I like roses." Reply with, "That's flowerism." Or if someone says, "He was wearing a green shirt," reply with, "That's colorist." These crazy words that you're coming up with, should sound insane because they are; as does everyone who calls things out falsely.

The most upsetting part about it, is words themselves, they actually mean nothing. That's why the same word can mean two or more totally different things when put in different context. Words that are meant to be used as verbs can be used as nouns or adjectives because that's how the English language has been built since the 5th century. American novelist, Jonathan Culver, once said, "The English language is a work in progress, have fun with it." That is exactly what people are doing. Every time a person forms a sentence, they are taking words that mean nothing individually, and they're discovering this new arrangement to bring out a certain thought, feeling, illustration, or idea. This is why words are constantly being created, slang is constantly evolving, and more and more people are being offended; the universal meanings is no longer universal.

To bring back my use of the word colorist, I made up a new meaning to that word that already exists. The true meaning to the word colorist is the person who adds color to black and white art, not someone who is discriminate towards colors. If hypothetically my version of the word colorist were to catch on, and that became the new meaning, it would be like all the words that are used now a days to hurt people. So next time a person calls you a name, just think about what the words really mean, and mentally make fun of the way pop culture slang has taken over. It will most likely have the opposite affect the speaker intended.

Pop culture slang, no matter how quick and easy to learn, is probably the worst thing to happen, especially in the 21st century. Pretty soon teenagers aren't going to know 15 words in a real dictionary; all they are going to know is the words on Urban Dictionary. How many words or sayings were created from the internet alone in the past decade, nevertheless all of the texting terms and acronyms? Using lol on a daily basis while texting is fine, but the second someone says it as if it's a real word, things go downhill. Lol, and rofl, and ily, those aren't words they're acronyms. Laser, that little beam of light that people will try and shine into your eye, is actually an acronym. It translates to light amplification stimulated by emissions of radiation. This acronym was created for the scientists so they had something easy to say to save time, not because they didn't want to tap on their smart phone an extra ten times.

Tone and body language are the two main factors of communication, and these are absent in the forms of written communication like: texting, emailing, and writing letters. Written communication is one of the hardest things to do when talking about logistics because it's just reading words, they aren't actually being said. Without an explanation you can't tell if a person is being mad about something, being sarcastic, or just being plain humorous. Assumptions are just made and that is why our communications levels are lost while the availability of communication is increasing.

In the end, if everyone stops taking actions for granted and actually started to pay attention to the factors involved in communicating, ideally we could make it one step closer to peace with the absence of hasty assumptions. So the next conversation you're in, don't isolate the words coming out of their mouth from their actions. There's no need to try and reinvent how to communicate. Realizing that everyone is different and everyone speaks different is how we are going to move forward.