F O R T Y - T W O

Start from the beginning

"You act as if we are the only ones who want to be rid of you," Demir said just as Karos walked away from them. He stopped in his tracks and turned to listen. "You would be dead by now if Isla had not fallen."

Karos closed his eyes and continued through the corridor passing people left and right. It was cluttered with talk of griffins and gwasas. The fear was massing by the day. In order to live through this, Karos knew he had to amend their ties with the dragons if only for this. They had to.

As soon as Karos opened the door to the smaller common room, Karos saw Fariel pressing against Oraanu and kissing his lips. Karos let out a scoff before a small smile lingered. Was it love or lust, Karos could never tell with Fariel. It was always another and one more other when he thought it was love. Never would he had thought Oraanu would fall for such a man like him.

He cleared his throat causing them to pull apart, unabashed. Fariel wiped his lips with the back of his hand and coughed.

"We must talk." Karos looked at Fariel before looking at Oraanu. "Alone."

Fariel turned his head to Oraanu causing Oraanu to take his chin in hand and kiss his lips before leaving out the door.

"Gods, Karos," Fariel said as he brushed back his hair. "Must you ruin every good moment I have?"

"It is nice to be reunited with the one you love, Fariel, but there are pressing issues at hand."

"What is it?"

"It is Analia and the dragon king."

Fariel's eyebrows furrowed. "What of Analia? What has she done?"

"She is ill at ease with the way things are now. I had told her of Andel's death and how it truly happened and she has not been the same since. She tried to take Ake's gem and— "

"She... How could she... You took it out?"

"I had to. Hinem—" Karos sighed out, exasperated. How would he explain this to Ake? "It was obsidian that went through here." Karos laid his hand at his side. "As you know. I could not risk Ake's life."

"Gods be good."

"She is trying to kill him, I know it."

"Karos, she would never. She loves you far too much."

"She is not the same. I am telling you this now, Fariel."

"Very well. Then we will keep them separate."

Karos leaned against the pillar and rubbed his forehead. "We must bring the dragons back with us to Gasa. Ake will not stand to be somewhere not near me. He will not have it."

"Then Analia—"

"She will be bitter."

"Good gods," Fariel sighed out. "What will you do?"

"We have no time for it. Half the dragons had left before you arrived. The rest, as well as us, will leave tomorrow. I have no other choice."

"I will watch out for him then. He had... He had saved my life."

Karos looked at him with wide eyes. Before he could say anything, Fariel cut him off.

"And the dragon king?"

Karos pursed his lips.

"What of him?"

"He said he would not help."

"He has no choice but to help! Mercy has forsaken them!"

"He said he would not help because of me."