This had been happening forever now. Link would need someone, she'd be there, though it's not in a very good way. He would need emotional support in any way possible, and it wasn't in the best ways.

All Zelda was at this point was a toy, something to get Link's mind off of whatever he was dealing with. She knew it was bad. She knew she shouldn't be doing this. But something deep down told her that if she did this, he'd be hers, even if it wasn't for very long.

This was another one of those situations. He needs her, she's there for him in whatever way possible. Before she could change her mind, she was in front of his door and knocking.

Link opened the door and quickly ushered her inside, as if there'd be punishments if she was seen. He embraced her tightly, like she'd disappear if he let go.

Zelda hesitantly wrapped her arms around him. It always started like this. She'd help calm him down, and then if that didn't work, they'd  do it until he felt better.

Though she won't admit it to him (hell, she can barely admit it to herself) she actually prefers when they have sex. It makes him hers, even if it's just for an hour or so. Granted, he always says someone else's name, but still. She'd take what she can get.

Zelda looked up at him and asked, "Need to sit down?" He nodded and led them both over to the couch. She sat down and he lie his head down on her lap.

This was routine now. It would start with a tight hug, then he'd confess everything that's been going on, and she'd listen.

"She was with another man... I've lost her," he mumbled, staring at the ceiling. Zelda gently played with his soft blonde hair as he continued, "She didn't even remember today."

She looked down at him apologetically. If only he loved her and not Midna...

"I can't do this anymore. She's happy... I can't ruin that."

That's all she ever thought about her relationship with Link. He had someone else in mind, not her.

"I'm so good to her. It's not fair..."

If only he knew...

Zelda gently caressed his face and asked quietly, "Do you want to do it this time?" He shook his head.

"It's not the same. You're not her. You don't have her height, her voice, her eyes, her hair, her curves... You aren't Midna."

That hurt.

She knew he'd say it some day. She knew that what he said was true. That didn't make his words sting any less.

"It's just not the same. You're curves are smaller, your hair is brown, your eyes are blue, your voice is higher, you're shorter, your face is more narrow. You're not Midna."

She shut her eyes tightly in hopes to keep the tears away. "I-I'm sorry," she whispered.

He sat up and looked at the woman beside him. She was just as broken as he was, but in a different way.

Link looked at her as she tried to hold everything in. Zelda felt his gaze, and it only made things worse. Then, she just snapped.

Zelda hugged him tightly and sobbed into his chest. He was caught off guard and he fell back onto the couch as Zelda released all the pain she had been holding in.

"I'm sorry," she cried. She repeated it over and over, her quiet sobs echoing through the room.

Link lie there as she continued, "I-I'm sorry I-I can't be her. I kn-know I'm not Midna. I'm s-so sorry that I'm not what y-you want."

He sat there in silence as emotions ran amuck in his head. Now, it was his turn to comfort her from everything she'd kept hidden.

Link traced circles on her back at an attempt to soothe her pain. In all honesty, he didn't know what to do. There weren't many instances that the roles were reversed; usually Link was the one who needed release.

He felt a knot in his stomach as more and more questions developed in his brain. Had he caused this? Emotions flooded into him and he wasn't sure what to do with the overwhelming sensation. Was he angry? Shocked? Nervous? He couldn't tell as everything swirled around in his mind  like a raging storm.

Then it hit him.

Maybe...

"You aren't Midna," he said as he gently tilted her face to look at him. Se tried her best to look away, but she couldn't. She let herself become captivated by him yet again, no matter how badly she wanted to look away.

"But that's OK...", he stated. Link used his thumb to wipe away her tears. She looked at him absolutely dumbfounded. What was with the sudden change?

"That's ok. Maybe... Maybe I don't need Midna to be happy. Maybe the one person who cared was here in front of me and I was too selfish to notice."

Zelda was silent. All this hit her at one time, and she didn't know why. Everything was so unsolicited, but at the same time it was everything she wished for.

"Now it's my turn to be sorry. I should have seen it this whole time... Can you forgive a blind selfish idiot for not realizing sooner?"

She looked at him, unsure of what to say or what to do. Hell, she didn't really know what to think. The only thing Zelda could do is nod, and that was what made Link finally smile through his pain.

They were each other's saving grace, and neither of them were going to feel so broken again.

*****
AN
Heeyyy my Strangers! I hope you enjoy yet another one shot! This one is set in another Modern AU and is a bit on the angsty side. I really hope you all enjoyed a one shot that I finally had end happy 😂 Anyway, don't forget to leave a comment on what scenario you'd like me to write next. I love you all!
Stay Strange!

♡ - Em