Sub-Chapter 13: Watch and See

Start from the beginning

“Are you saying you believe that I would put her in danger just so I wouldn’t have to admit I was wrong,” he replied angry.

“Yes, that is exactly what I’m saying,” I fired steadfast in my accusation. “Look out there. She isn’t fighting...she’s suffering. Just end it.”

He turned away from me angrily staring at the screen. I moved to grab him but before I could a portal door opened catching both of our attention.

“What are you doing?!”

It was Eve and she looked like she wanted to pick us apart.

“Eve, get out of here!” Pete replied vehemently.

I stared at her happy to see someone who could assist me in convincing Pete but the last person I was expecting after her and Beth’s spat was Eve.

“That’s my sister,” Eve continued angrily. “Get her out of there or you’re going to have to fight me.”

Pete leaped from his seat to confront her. I stepped in between the two of them as they charged each other like rabid dogs.

“Whoa, calm down you two,” I replied. “Let’s not embarrass our legion any more than we already have.”

“Pete, why are you doing this?” she replied tears starting to form. “Look at my sister.”

Beth was no longer screaming and seemed to be conscious as the electricity continued to flow through her. Her body still gyrated and spasmed, and I hated to consider the implications of it or the long term effects both mentally and physically of what she was enduring.

“I’ll keep going as long as you guys make me but you’re doing this to her, not me,” Kadmiel continued in a pleading voice.

“Tim, please stop this,” Eve pleaded turning to me.

“I-I can’t…I don’t know how to,” I responded. “It wasn’t in the BAU.”

She stared at Pete continue to plead.

“It’s not a normal part of the normal trial for the advisor to invoke paradosis. What aren’t telling you us?”

Pete turned and walked back to his seat and sat down.

“Beth forfeited her paradosis clause to me,” he replied finally relenting. “She said that she trusted me to not give up on her and she made me promise that I wouldn’t use it no matter what.”

“Why…How or when did this happen?” Eve fired angrily.

“We scouted the dangers. We knew that this was a possible outcome. We researched the rules surrounding incapacitation and found that in the event that a fighter is incapacitated the proctor can step in and end the match by forfeited her paradosis to me she was preventing that,” he replied. “She decided she wanted me to do this morning. More specifically, she decided after your argument with her. She told me via BAU.”

Eve’s face fell at the sound of his words. She sulked for a second before turning back to Pete insistently.

“I don’t care what you and she had planned,” she replied adamantly. “Get her out of there...I don’t care what she wants.”

“Well, I do!” he replied angrily.

BOOM! At the sound of his word there was a huge explosion that emanated from the battle arena that caught all of our attention.

“Impossible,” Eve uttered staring in awe.

Beth had somehow broken through. She was standing kneeling her eyes blazing like two stars were implanted into her sockets. I was astounded. She couldn’t control light element, she couldn’t use subatomics in her state, so how did she break free.