Chapter 14

There was excitement at her parents in law home. Everyone was scurrying around doing last minute chores. The wedding was in just two hours. So what the groom had changed? But the wedding was being held as planned. Samreen was consumed in her own pain that she wasn't able to approach Nawal and ask if she was happy with the turn of events. There wasn't much time. Nawal had just finished getting her makeup done and her friends were in her room preparing her for the nikkah (marriage ceremony). And here, she had to get her children ready.

Each one of them was given a quick shower and now all of them were sitting on the king size bed in Faraz's room at her parents in law room. Liyaanah was in a hot pink gharara (fancy ethnic palazzo pants), she was happily slipping colourful metal bangles on her wrist. She looked up at her mother, "Mommy my hair."

Samreen nodded slowly, "I will do it sweetie."

While, Liyaanah wore her bangles, Samreen paid attention to Daniyal who was sitting on the bed freshly bathed in just his nappy. He was happily snatching some of the bangles from Liyaanah. She was oblivious of what her brother was up to, otherwise, there would have been screaming and shouting over bangles.

Taking out the fancy boy's shalwar kameez that Ghazala had bought for Daniyaal during her trip to Pakistan, Samreen took hold of her older son's arm and grabbed his attention. She pried the bangle out of his tight gripped fist and started dressing him up.

Salim was peacefully sleeping after his bath which was a relief so she could concentrate on dressing her older children first. Once Daniyal was dressed, she took out the stuffed Lightning McQueen car that was Daniyal's favourite toy from her bag and placed it in front of Daniyal so that he was distracted.

She turned to Liyaanah who was admiring her bangles with a wide grin on her innocent face. "Sit in front of me Liyaa," Samreen murmured as her fingers grasped the hair brush.

Liyaanah enthusiastically sat in front of her mother and Samreen started brushing her curly locks, struggling to get rid of the tangles in her hair.

Liyaanah's head jerked backwards several times, "Owww Mommy." She whined in pain.

"Nearly done Liyaa," Samreen eyes on her hair. "Didn't anyone brush your hair since last night?"

"No. I slept early. In morning phuphu was busy."

Samreen nodded. She couldn't blame Nawal who always took care of Liyaanah and Daniyal during her absence. Nawal would even change their nappies and give them a bath without even a crease on her forehead. But today was her special day and it made sense she wasn't able to look after Liyaanah.

"I missed you, Mommy." Liyaanah pouted and Samreen brushed the curly locks into smoothness.

Samreen smiled. This was the first time Liyaanah had stayed at her grandparents place on her own without her siblings.

"I missed you too sweetie." Samreen kissed the top of her head and took a small glittering tikka to adorn her little girl's forehead.

"I missed daddy too." Liyaanah winced as Samreen pinned the tikka in her hair.

Samreen hands stilled, looking down at her daughter, she asked in a voice heavy with emotion, "Do you want to go to mamu's (uncle) place for few days after phuphu's wedding?"

Liyaanah shook her head, "No. I miss daddy."

The task in her hand forgotten. Samreen eyes flickered at her children. She couldn't leave to Nouman bhai's place. If she did, she would deprive her children of their father. But she was determined to change her little girl's mind. She pursed her lips together, "Daddy will come and meet us time to time. Why not we spend the summer holidays with Safa and Marwa?"