Chapter 10: Decisions, Decisions

I walk into Coach's office for my appointment to talk about my internship. It's been three days since I received my letter about being accepted into the NHL internship program. I never applied for the program, so I can only think of two people who would do it. Noah, or my father. but my father would never force this on me, so I'm thinking it was Noah. They did need a letter of recommendation, and it was from Noah.

"Hey Coach", I say as I walk in. Everyone calls him coach, I mean everyone.

"Hi Meredith. Please take a seat", Coach says over from his computer. I sit in the chair on the other side of his desk. "So, you got the internship. And we are sending you to the Wild. Are you officially accepting the offer?"

"I would accept the offer, but you know my situation, Coach, with Cole. He's on the wild, and my position would be to interview the team on a daily basis. I don't want my personal life to affect an opportunity, but I was wondering if I could somehow switch to another team? The letter said this would be part of my degree no matter where I go. If I could get onto another team, I will do it".

"Meredith. When I got the news you were accepted into the internship and being sent to the Wild, I tried to change it somehow, but I couldn't. This is the only option. Are you going to take this amazing opportunity for your career, or are you going to stay here?"

I think for what feels like a long time, but I have my decision. It's hard to make, with the whole Cole thing and all, but I know what my heart wants. I smile at Coach. He knew my decision all along. "I'll take it".

"All righty then", Coach sits back in his chair, folding his arms over his chest. "Let's let Mr. fletcher know then. Good thing he already knew and we have a conference call in five minutes".

We wait the five minutes for him to call, and Coach puts him on speaker. He starts off talking to Coach for a moment, before directing his voice over to me. "So, you finally made your decision. Coach Gendron knew you would choose to come with us. He's good to you. I would miss him if I were you", Mr. Fletcher laughs.

"I miss him when hockey season isn't in. But this will actually give me an excuse", I say in a happy tone. "But I do have a few questions".

"Go ahead", Mr. Fletcher says to me as Coach starts to type something on his computer.

"How exactly does this keep my degree going? I won't be here in Maine to go to any of my classes".

"Well, in the program, certain things you do here with the team count towards different classes. I don't have any specific examples for your case, but if a pre-med student came in, and he started working with our head trainer, it might count towards a physical therapy class that student takes", Fletcher takes a breath. "Any other questions?"

"Not any other work related ones. But thank you for this opportunity", I say. I stand up from my chair. "I don't mean to be rude, but I do have a class that starts in about twenty minutes I can't be late for. Excuse me".

"Well, thank you, Miss. Adams. I'm very glad you accepted to be part of the team. I can't wait for you to be here. As for you, Coach, her final details should be in your inbox within the next few minutes. Thank you, both", he hangs up the phone.

"Do you need me to come back for the details after class, it's my last of the day?"

"If you want. I'm here until seven", he replies. I give him up a thumbs up and walk out of the room. "But I have nothing tomorrow, just pop in if you have time".

"Thank you, sir" I walk out of the stadium and to the Governor Building for another lecture on communication.

I would rather make sure I don't disrupt coach tomorrow, so I head back to the rink after class. I text Peter to make sure he knows I won't be back at my house until a little bit later than usual.

"Hey", I walk back into Coach's office. "Here for the details", I smile.

"Well, let's get started then", he says, looking up at me and motioning for me to take a seat. "So, your first day would be January fifth. The only thing you would need to do is get your stuff there for about seven months. The program will help you pay for the apartment since they are the ones moving you out. It wouldn't be a very large place, but the apartments are very nice, and you can decorate the way you want. It's only a short walk to the stadium, maybe five blocks or so. You are one of five interns for the team, and you will all be on the same floor. You are the only one for journalism, so you wouldn't work with them. We do have one more person from our university going to the Wild. Some how you were both selected to go to the Wild, so you might know him. But, he doesn't know yet, or hasn't come to me yet about his letter".

"Who is it? He or she?" I ask.

"Peter Lennon", Coach replies.

I look at him with wide eyes, then shake my head, coming back to reality. "Oh, really?"

Coach nods. "So, you would be working with Maria Reed, head journalist for the Wild. She will teach you the ins and outs of journaling for the team and writing the stories for the website and magazines. You will interview someone from the team each day. Asking them different sorts of questions and giving them statements to respond to. You may have to talk to Cole, but this is your job, so we need this to be as professional as possible. I know you can do that. Please, no problems, this reflects against our university".

"I completely understand that. I will do my absolute hardest to not cause anything. Nothing is going to happen. I promise".

Coach gives me more details on my time in Saint Paul with the Wild. There is two things I am thinking about right now. Seeing Cole, and having Peter there with me if he accepts the offer. I'm going to go back to my house and tell him that I am going, tonight.

I guess I'm moving to Minnesota. Here I come.