Chapter Twelve

Hermione

In the morning, I wake up impatient with the Horcrux around my neck. This is taking too long! We need to destroy all these Horcruxes now! We should just torture people to find out where the others are...

"Hermione, I'll take that," Harry says, yawning and stretching his arms. He holds his hand out, and I realize he wants the Horcrux. I unfasten the clasp and hand it to him. I instantly feel much better.

"Guys? I have an idea. I think that we should find the Sword of Gryffindor, destroy this Horcrux, and then use truth potion on some of the Death Eaters to find out where the other Horcruxes are. Then we destroy them before You-Know-W...Voldemort destroys Hogwarts. And everything else," I suggest. I know it sounds bad, but it seems the most efficient and effective to me.

"Well...if you think that'd be best..." Harry shrugs. Sirius does, too. Then he begins shaking Ron and Albus awake and whispering the idea to them. They agree, and Ron and Harry leave to catch some fish that I can cook for breakfast.

Later, once we've all eaten, we pack up to head to Hogwarts.

We have no idea where the Death Eaters might be, but id they're planning an attack, they're likely to be around there.

We Apparate to Hogsmeade first to get supplies. Heading into the Hog's Head, we try to be as quiet as possible.

Inside, there's nobody at the counter but a book. That book is sitting on top on the bar. The cover says The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore. By Rita Skeeter!

I hate her.

Albus

What kind of a book is that supposed to be?

I take it before anyone else can and flip it open to a random page. On it is a letter that a wrote to Grindlewald. I remember signing my name with the Deathly Hallows symbol as the 'A'. What will they think of me when they see this?

There's no time to think about it now, because Harry snatches the books out from my hands and opens it to the same page. "Grindlewald? Isn't he...?"

"...The greatest Dark Wizard of all time?" Hermione chimes in, taking the book from Harry. "You knew- know him, Albus?"

I scratch an itch on the back of my neck. "Well...yes. Sort of."

She points to my signature. "What does this symbol mean?"

Harry looks at it. "I saw Luna's dad with a necklace at the wedding. It had that symbol on it."

"We should go see him!" they say before I can tell them that I know exactly what it means.

Sirius

We change our plans and Hermione Apparates us to a field. In the distance is a tall, lopsided dark house with trees in the front. It looks like some sort of upside-down radish hanging from the branches.

As we get closer to the house, Ron looks at a sign in front of the tree. "'Keep off the Dirigible Plums'? What are those?"

We all just shrug and Harry knocks on the door.

The top half swings open and a man with blond hair looks out. "Who are you?"

"Mr. Lovegood? It's Harry, Harry Potter. We spoke at the wedding," Harry explains.

"Well, what do you want?"

"We have a question to ask, sir," Hermione cuts in. "About this symbol." She pulls The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore out of her remarkably small bag and opens it to the page with the letter, showing Mr. Lovegood the symbol.

"Oh, very well, come in."

Soon, we're all sitting on the second floor of their house. I've never seen anything like it. Paintings (not very skilled ones, mind you) line the walls, murals, really. They have one thin spiral staircase cutting through the middle of their house. It seems like nobody else is home.

"Where's Luna?" Hermione asks as if reading my mind.

"Luna?" There's a pause. "She'll...be along."

After a few moments of silence, Hermione clears her throat. "Sir, about the symbol..."

"Ah, yes. That symbol represents the Deathly Hallows. I'm sure you've heard the Tale of the Three Brothers?"

Harry shakes his head and Hermione rummages through her bag and pulls out an old, tattered copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

"Is that mine?" Albus asks, pointing to the book.

"Yes, it actually is," Hermione says, not bothering to explain. "The Tale of the Three Brothers is in here. Let me read it to you."

So she does.

When she's finished, Mr. Lovegood grabs a piece of parchment and a pen. "You see, those are the Deathly Hallows." He draws a line on the parchment. "The Elder Wand." Next a triangle. "The Cloak of Invisibility." Last, a circle to complete the symbol. "And the Resurrection Stone. Together, they make one the Master of Death."

"Well, thank you for your help, sir." Hermione stands up, gathering her things together. "We'll be going, then."

"You can't leave!" Mr. Lovegood yells. "You can't leave," he says in a quieter voice. "You're my only hope."

"Your only hope, sir?" Harry asks.

"They took her. They took my Luna," he says.

"I'm still confused about who Luna is," I blurt out. Hermione turns scolding eyes on me, and I put my hands up in mock surrender.

"Who took her?" Harry asks, even though it looks as if he already knows the answer very well.

"Them!" Mr. Lovegood yells.

"The Death Eat-" Hermione starts to say. But before she can finish, black shapes come swooping down from the sky. Just like they did at the wedding.

"Run!" Harry yells, and we leave the house quickly. As the Darth Eaters start to crash through the house, making it tumble in upon itself, we don't have time to check if Luna's dad made it out.

We just Apparate away.