Chapter Seven

You can buy this book and other titles in the Prophecy Rock Series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, iBooks, and Smashwords.

7

Raden was still in disbelief, his conversation with the Prophet still resonating in his head. He had been chosen to check on rumors about the Vicedonians claiming a Candidate, and more importantly, to protect his people should this Candidate be false. But, he was still just a lowly corporal with limited years of experience in the field; he wasn’t even part of the recon division. Incredulous at the thought, Raden meandered down the hall leading out of the Inner Sanctum. 

I don’t know if I can complete this mission. In his moment of doubt, he stared blankly at his surroundings. The paintings of past Renzai heroes caught his attention. The images helped him refocus and remember. Perhaps this is my chance to make Kimi proud and become the hero in her storybooks. Maybe my face will be added to this wall someday. The thought calmed his mind. He focused in on the task at hand. I’m a soldier. It’s the one skill that I’ve managed to demonstrate consistently. My job is to execute, not question.

As he repeated the thought in his mind, execute, not question… execute, not question, Raden’s pace picked up. With every step he gained a confidence and resoluteness about him until he found himself marching quickly down the hall. 

Raden thought of his next move. If I’m to go immediately, then I need to convene my team now, but who to bring? The Prophet had told Raden that he should take two people along with him whom he trusted. No more than three people were needed for a reconnaissance mission. He already knew one person who was going to go whether Raden liked it or not… Gama. Gama seemed to be the antithesis of a recon soldier, and how he was able to move so nimbly was beyond Raden’s comprehension. Gama had just returned from his mission in the Disputed Lands, but Raden knew he wasn’t one to sit idly around headquarters either.

Raden made his way towards the Lion Tribe halls where Gama said he’d be surveying the newest kitchen concoctions. Soldier quarters were very different than officer quarters. For starters, the halls were built underground. Headquarters was shaped like a bowl with four bridges built across the top of it known as the Cross. The Cross converged upon a circular foundation in the center. This is where the Kamo Garden, Temple of the One, officer stations, Tribute Hall, and other key structures were housed. The area beneath the Cross was divided into four quadrants, and served as the soldiers’ residences. The Lion Tribe was located in the quadrant closest to the eastern river beneath the Temple of the Holy Monk. Separate staircases spiraled down towards the halls; Raden found the closest one and descended.

As he made his way down the steps, Raden could feel the nervousness transform to excitement as he thought more about his mission. You’re the only one who can find the Candidate, is what the Prophet had said. Do not fail your people. The last thought stayed with him as he exited the staircase. Raden’s resolve continued to grow. He would not let his people down.

Raden made his way towards the second basement floor where Gama resided, and could hear the unmistakable high-pitched laughter of his best friend coming from the first floor. Raden knew immediately that Gama was in the kitchen causing a scene.

“So there I was, cornered with two Vicedonians pinning me down. I had no way out, and from the crooked smiles on their faces you’d think they were ready to skewer a pig for a barbeque! Imagine that! Me… a pig! What a ludicrous thought! I’m probably closer to a rhinoceros than a filthy pig!” joshed Gama as he captured the attention of a fresh group of recruits. Gama loved telling recruits his highly embellished and imaginative stories of combat, romance, and bravery.

“Well, could you blame them? Look at you, dash some seasoning on you and I’d take a bite out of you right now, porky.”

Gama lifted his head out of the huddle, saw the source of the insult and threw a piece of meat at Raden. Raden swiftly dodged to his left as the pork chop hit the wall with a splat before sliding down the wall, leaving a greasy trail behind.

Gama chuckled again. “Recruits, this here is Raden Nite, you’d do well to remember his name and face. His sense of humor is awful, but he’s going to be a legend someday; just had a meeting with the Prophet, right?” The recruits looked at Raden with eyes a wonder. “So why aren’t you bowing down at his feet!” yelled Gama.

The four recruits dropped to their knees so swiftly, uttering apologies that Gama’s laugh reached a higher frequency than usual.

“You ingrates, he’s not a legend, yet. Oh man, recruits sure are funny!”

“Alright Gama, leave the new guys alone. Speaking of meetings, I need to talk to you right away.”

The look in Raden’s eyes was one that Gama recognized. Even when they were young, Gama could feel it when Raden was being serious. Gama couldn’t help but keep the levity high in all that he did— that was just his personality—but Gama also knew when it was time to get to business.

They made their way back to Gama’s quarters, where neither seemed to want to sit for this meeting. Raden closed and locked the door, double-checking to see that it was tightly shut.

“Gama…”

“What is it, Rad? What did the Prophet talk to you about?”

“Gama… the Prophet has ordered me on a recon mission. He wants me to… infiltrate the Vicedonian encampment, and bring back confirmation.”

“Confirmation? Of what, Rad?” asked Gama curiously.

“Of… a potential Candidate…” spoke Raden sternly.

Gama’s eyes widened as the words came out of Raden’s mouth. “You’re talking about the Prophecy Rock legend?”

Raden nodded in agreement.

“I’ve heard of stories about Candidates showing up, but I never really believed them. I didn’t think they actually existed.” Never had he imagined that this would be the outcome of Raden’s meeting with the Prophet.

“Well, we don’t know for sure if this Candidate does exist. The Prophet doesn’t want to take any chances, though, so he asked me to find out. Even if this Candidate turns out to be false, it can still be powerful. He’s scared the Vicedonians will possess a power capable of ending this war.”

“Ending this war?” Gama thought about the words for a moment. “Oh, you mean the end of our empire, right?” he said sarcastically.

“Yeah. We can’t let that happen. That’s why I need you and Oli on this mission with me, Gama. I need soldiers I can absolutely trust.”

“You know I’ve always got your back, Rad, and if it’s true, I’d love to see what a real life Candidate is capable of. Oli will be a great help picking up trails, too. She’s been so bored here at base anyways. And frankly, I’m sick of her chewing up my shoes just to pass the time.”

“I knew I could count on you, Gama.”

“So did you have anyone else in mind for the mission? I’m sure there’s one person you’ve already considered asking,” inquired Gama.

“Yeah, I told her to meet us here. She should be—”

Knock! Knock!!

“That must be her. That girl is never late,” chuckled Gama.

###

I will post one chapter each Saturday (there are 50 chapters in all). If you just can’t wait, you can buy the complete book and other titles in the Prophecy Rock Series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony, iBooks, and Smashwords.

You can also follow me on Twitter, or like my Facebook page. For more information, see my website www.tsaelow.com Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!