Chapter 12- The Nationals

Chapter 12: The Nationals

Ayame ran around frantically. The Nationals for the boys' tennis team has already started, and she had come to the second round to watch Seigaku's match against Higa. Ryoma's match had already gone by, and she decided to explore the grounds, only to lose her way around.

Crap! she thought. Where the hell was that court again?

She found herself at another court where another school was playing. She stopped to look around to check where she was.

"Oi, young girl, are you lost?" somebody called to her.

Ayame looked up to see what appeared to be a third year. He had a bandage wrapped around his arm. He was the Shitenhouji captain Shiraishi Kuranosuke.

"Yeah," Ayame replied. "Do you know where the court that Seigaku and Higa are playing on is?"

Before Shiraishi could answer, another third year came up to her. It was Oshitari Kenya, the cousin of Oshitari Yuushi from Hyotei.

"By any chance are you a Seigaku student?" he asked Ayame.

"Yes," she answered.

"Do you know Seigaku's freshman regular?" he went on to ask.

"You mean Echizen Ryoma?" she asked. "Yeah, I know him. He's my best friend."

"Wait, hold up!" Ayame heard one of the Shitenhouji members say. "The super rookie of the East has a girlfriend?!"

Ayame felt great irritation upon hearing that, and she kicked the boy as hard as she could. The boy that she kicked was third year Chitose Senri.

"There's no way in hell I'd be that bastard's girlfriend!" she shouted angrily.

Her sudden, violent attack startled the Shitenhouji members. The second year regular Zaizen Hikaru had managed to take a picture of the attack for his online blogging. Ayame turned to Shiraishi.

"I'm sorry, where's the court that Higa and Seigaku are playing on?" she asked again.

Shiraishi hesitated. He was surprised that the girl talking to him looked like as though she was intending to kill someone for one second, and the next instant she acted like as though she never attacked anybody.

"Oh, it's the court down that way. You shouldn't miss it," Shiraishi finally answered.

"Arigatou gozaimasu!" Ayame said.

She ran at an incredible speed down the way Shiraishi told her to go. The Shitenhouji members stared in stunned silence.

"That was fast," Kenya remarked, paying attention to how fast she could run.

Ayame found the court and the Doubles 2 round was still ongoing.

"Ah, Kanna-san!" Katsuo said as soon as he saw her.

"Where've you been?" Horio asked.

"Walking," Ayame replied. "Oi, Ryoma. There was an Osaka player who wanted to know about you."

"Was there?" Ryoma paid little interest and attention to Ayame's words.

Now that I think about it, why did that guy ask me about Ryoma? Ayame wondered. Heh, but then again, he's the super rookie of Seigaku. I shouldn't be surprised if that was the reason.

Ayame didn't realize the reason was that Yuushi had bragged to Kenya about Ryoma, and Kenya wanted to know who Ryoma was. She stopped thinking about it as she watched the Doubles 2 round. So far she didn't like Higa because of their rough play.