Unfit to be a Mother: Epilogue

• Dedicated to On to the Next Story!! (Heart of Stone! See profile!)

Epilogue

            "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you!" My family sang completely out of tune. I laughed as they continued singing. "Happy birthday dear Fey!" Dylan made his voice as high pitched as he could. "Happy birthday to you!"

            Fey just stared at them. She probably thought we were crazy. As soon as her father set that cake in front of her, though, she was a goner. That poor cake. It never had a chance.

            Dylan came to stand by me, wrapping an arm around my waist. "I can't believe she's two." I couldn't either. Fey had grown so quickly. She never stopped talking or walking. Our little girl was growing bigger with each coming day. My baby had long, curly hair that was about two shades darker than mine. Over the years, I was happy to learn that her eyes would just get bluer, reaching the same intense cobalt that Dylan had.

            We had decided to have a small party for her since we didn't want her to be one of those kids that had their birthdays mashed together with Christmas. I hated it when parents did that.

            I glanced at Dylan. We were still together after two years. I was shocked. He had changed a lot from the Dylan that had slept with me and gotten me pregnant. He was more grown up. He was even attending University. Dylan had gotten into Harvard, not very surprising. The thing that shocked us was that he turned it down. He went to a University close to home.

            I didn't even ask him to stay. He apparently decided that Fey and I were more important. At first I hadn't been sure if I should've smacked him for giving up a dream or kiss the hell out of him for being so sweet.

            He met my gaze, a smile spreading across his face.  "See something you like?"

            "Not at all," I teased. "See anything you like?"

            "Yup," He brushed some hair away from my face. He pulled my back against his chest and kissed my shoulder. I had gotten a tattoo there for my seventeenth birthday. It was Thing 1 from the Cat in the Hat. Poetic right? Dylan liked to lick it for reasons I would never understand. To every man his own.

            I took his hand and motioned for him to come with me. D.O.G. was curled up in his bed, sleeping away. The Christmas tree was glowing colorfully. Madeline was playing with Fey. Liam and Marissa—whom were still together as well even though they broke up for a three months period a year ago—were lost in their own little world.

            So much had happened in two years. Dad got remarried. Jeremy actually did have a son from a one-night stand. Molly got put in the hospital for a heart attack, but she did recover. She more fragile though... Mom had divorced Jim when she found him with a prostitute. Jeffery had moved in with us. D.O.G. got a new girlfriend. Dylan pretty much lived with us too. Over the summer, I miscarried. I had been so sad for weeks, but Dylan and Fey coaxed me out of my temporary depression to remember that I had a family that still needed me.

            Sure, it had been devastating but I was still young. I had a lot of time to have other kids.

            Good things and bad things happened. It was equal, I guess.

            Eileen and Chloe hadn't done anything either. In fact, they were pretty much outcasts. I felt bad for them. After two years, they were still on rock bottom because they each refused to let anyone in.

            Dad had married a lady named Marilynn, which was ironic because that was what he had wanted me to name Fey.  She worked at the coffee shop he went to everyday. Apparently, she had flirted with him constantly until he finally asked her why his coffee always came with a phone number. They were very happy.