Unfit to be a Mother: 12

Chapter 12

            I sighed, “None of these names are working!” I threw my arms up and brought them back down, dragged them across the face. “I don’t want her to have a common name or an old lady name.

            “Well, you don’t like any of the names we suggested. Stop being so difficult.” Jeremy was looking down at a notebook filled with names, most of which were crossed out.

            “I don’t know what to name her,” I moaned, burying my face in a pillow awkwardly.

            Molly started rubbing my back. “There’s many names in the world. I’m sure we’ll find one for her.” She reassured.

            “Yeah, we wouldn’t want her to go nameless.”

            “Shut up, Dylan!” I stuck my tongue out at him and dived back into my pillow. “I’m voting we take a nap.”

            “You’ve been voting that for the past two hours!”

            “Because I’m not ready to do this! I have no idea how to choose!” I hated naming things. There were so many names to choose from and the simplest always seemed like the way to go. If Thing 1 had been a boy, he would’ve been named Guy. I just wanted a simple name that sounded perfect and right. Somehow, after the shitty life I thought I would give this child, a nice sounding name was the least I could do.

            I wanted her name to say “I’m badass and sweet.” I didn’t just want it to be perfect, I needed it to be perfect.

            “How about Naveh?” Liam proposed.

            “Liam, I know that’s heaven spelled backwards and we all know I’m anything but heavenly.”

            “Your baby could be heavenly,” He grumbled.

            “Well she was… I won’t finish that sentence.” I winked at Dylan and laughed.

            Liam shuddered, “That gross, Jenna.”

            Mean while, Molly seemed to be in her own world, just looking for baby names. “I have Meredith, Maycee, Molly,” She grinned.

            “Molly, we already talked about this. I’m not naming the baby after you.”

            “But she’d be so happy to have a name like Molly!”

            “Molly,” I warned.

            “Fine,” She sighed and resumed looking through the books to find a name.

            “I just want something simple, guys. Nothing super unusual but completely individual.”

            “We know. You keep telling us that.” Dylan mumbled, propping himself up against the wall.

            I didn’t respond and kept shuffling through names that randomly passed through my head. Serenity? No, I was never serene and what type of baby is? Michaela? No, it sounds preppy. Maycee? Sweet, but not badass. Then I had the perfect thought. I sat up and started piecing the name together. Yes, it would be perfect. Badass and sweet. Not preppy, not punk. Perfect.

            “Okay, books down! I’ve got the name.” I laughed, slightly giddy. I was elated to finally have a name for a baby who I’ve been calling Thing 1 for three months. “Oh, it’s perfect!”