Unfit to be a Mother: 7

Chapter 7

            I posed in front of the Neptune statue, my arms raised over my head, a fake smile painted on my face. Surviving vacation was harder than expected. I was running out of excuses for not being around my family. Gift shopping, headache, not feeling well, wanting to be alone, embarrassed, and a sudden urge to eat ice cream. Mom was starting to force me to go places.

            But it was the day before the last day of vacation and I was intent on surviving two more days.

            “Baby girl, this picture is so cute!”

            “Thanks, Mom!” I sighed. She was forcing me to spend time with them. How was I supposed to relax if I had a mom glued to my ass at all times? Answer: You don’t relax. You pretend like you have a stick up your ass and stand tall.

            Next, Jeffery stood in front of the statue, flexing his imaginary muscles. In the sibling rivalry war, he was ahead. A few nights before I had found my bed full of sand—complete with hermit crabs. I laughed at his act of childishness and had ended up pulling the sheets off my bed and taking his. He surely hadn’t expected that it would be him crawling into a bed of sand.

            “Okay! I’m done taking pictures today.” Mom declared. “Do you guys want to go to the beach or the pool?”

            It was a two to one vote. We went back to the hotel. Jeffery made way for the room. Jim soon followed him. Mom decided she was going to the spa. I wanted ice cream. Strangely, this craving would not go away. Even better—there was a Hershey’s Ice cream shop just down the street.

            I wandered that way. I entered the shop bustling with people and waited for my turn. At the counter was the lady from the first five days. She took one look at me and said, “The usual?”

            “You know it.” I waited while she scooped a cone of Crazy Vanilla. Hershey’s Ice Cream was life changing. Once you taste it, you’re never going back.

            “Is this seat taken?” A kind, husky voice asked.

            I looked up to find a super tan guy with bleach blonde hair and pale blue eyes. “No,” I answered.

            “Good, I think I might have some ice cream with a pretty girl.”

            I laughed. “I was down this road three weeks ago. I’m warning you there is no use in wasting your pick-up lines on me.”

            I could feel his eyes on me. My head was ducked, trying to avoid his gaze. “Why?”

            “Well, seeing as you’re going to run away sooner if I tell you,” I paused to laugh. “I’m pregnant. There really is no use in hitting on me.”

            He smirked, “Just my luck. The prettiest girl I’ve found today is having a baby.”

            “Ah, I see. So you look for a new one every day?”

            “Well,” He started.

            I raised a hand, “Never mind. I don’t want to know. Why don’t you just go find a blonde dumbass in a bikini who is more than willing to shake her goodies for you?”

            He chuckled, “I’ve had my fill of bimbos.”

            “I bet. So are you keeping me company?”