Chapter 50 - Amity

"Worrying is a waste of time. Good and bad things will happen in life. You just have to keep living and not stress over what you can't control."

No matter how much I had come to hate this peace-loving community, it still brought a sense of calm to my chaotic mindset

No matter how much I had come to hate this peace-loving community, it still brought a sense of calm to my chaotic mindset. And there was one sight, I had come to enjoy more than anything else and couldn't get enough of. It was the sight of the night sky right before dawn. The delirious bright stars before the sun began breaking the darkness, slowly rising, and bringing with it the colors of the new day while also lifting the morning mist from the fields that I had been assigned to help with.

Chores. Not that I minded them but still they felt more like an obligation than a distraction. I inhaled deeply and took a moment to enjoy the sight of the morning sun rising before wiping a few pearls of sweat from my forehead. Despite this peace-loving community and easy-going nature, sometimes lazy nature, they sure did know how to do a good day's labor. It provided me with enough of a distraction to which I was grateful to have been given.

I wiped my hands in the skirt I was wearing on today's occasion before reaching for the basket of corn I had collected. It sat on the ground, waiting, packed and stacked with freshly picked corn. I held it tightly between my hands, letting it rest against my hip as I walked towards the truck. My brother was standing on the back of it, helping receive the baskets. When I raised mine up, he took it without hesitation before reaching a hand down. It hovered in front of me because I hesitated. I raised my eyes, locking them with his familiar ones before a scowl disrupted my otherwise indifferent expression.

They hadn't changed at all. Then I scoffed and chose to walk instead, refusing any help from him. I was not ready to forgive him just yet. He had all but ignored me when I first came here. I had tried to reconnect, but he had a life here, a new family. Most of the abnegation was in a good mood, they blended in perfectly, though a little stiff sometimes, but talking and having fun. There were a few with us in the fields. I rolled my eyes and kept to myself. It was a small walk back to amity, and one I would rather take in solitude.

When I returned to amity, I was greeted by a scowling Ezekiel. He was looking much better as the days slowly passed by. His color had returned, and he could move around now. Ezekiel even complained about the clothes more than I did. I tried to smile to the scowling dauntless while I quickly washed my hands under a nearby faucet.

But my smile did little to soothe him as he tugged on the neck of his shirt again. The orange color did look good on him. Ezekiel kept tugging on his shirt, even after he had reached me, and I had to grab his hands. "Stop it—it looks on you." I said half serious and half teased. He rolled his eyes at me and sidestepped me. It was not unlike him. Ezekiel was getting a little bored with amity. Seeing as he couldn't carry anything heavy, he was forced to do the small tasks. Quite irksome as he had frowned just a few days ago.

I kept a small smile on my lips when I followed him into the dome and got in line behind him. When a plate was handed to me, I muttered the go with happiness to the smiling woman in orange. Then I noticed Four and Tris arrive from their morning chores as well. Tris was looking rather agitated this morning, but one thing was different. She had cut her hair short. But it suited her. My eyes lingered for a while until she noticed.