Chapter 48 - Amnesty

"Leadership is not about you. It's about investing in the growth of others."

We took the train all the way to the fence before jumping off

We took the train all the way to the fence before jumping off. We had no idea what to do or where to go. My tears had dried up long ago and I was merely trying to bite my emotion down. I barely stumbled when jumping out of the train. I merely clutched the gun tighter when coming to a halt. This was the first time in months I had been back at the fence.

It still stood tall and magnificent. I stood with my mouth agape while watching the few figures in black gathered near the guard station. They must've not been in dauntless for the injection of the simulation. They would have no idea what was going on. I blinked when recognizing one of the figures. Ezekiel.

It was first then I noticed how his hair had gotten longer, his curls less defined as they reached below his ears now. Four was quick to grab my arm and pull me away but I lingered when seeing Ezekiel storm down the stairs. He had recognized me like I had him. Four froze awkwardly when the dauntless man stormed towards us, but I didn't care and greeted him with open arms. He couldn't have known what happened.

Ezekiel swept me off the ground. He had become a very good friend to me over the last few weeks. He had been there for me when I didn't speak with Eric. He had even been there for Roxy. It took everything in me to keep myself from breaking down right there in his tight embrace. He blew out a breath before letting me touch the ground again.

"Octavia—what is happening?" He asked, eyes traveling over my face, taking in the few bruises I had. "We can see smoke coming from abnegation—no one is answering in dauntless." Ezekiel had barely spoken the words when I turned towards abnegation. He was right. Smoke was rising in the distance.

"Erudite happened! The serum they injected us with last night! It was not a tracking device it was something that allowed erudite to control dauntless, and simultaneously single out the divergents!" I cried out, grabbing his forearms before he could move away from me completely. His hand had even moved to the left side of his neck, tracing the spot I guessed was where he had also been injected with the serum.

"Zeek—Four managed to shut the program and wipe the code. It will not affect us any longer but Erudite has assumed leadership. They're in control—they've taken the government! They even tried to kill us." I explained and Ezekiel brought his hands up to my face. He cupped my cheeks, forcing me to look at him.

"Then you must seek refuge! Go to amity—they will be able to help you! Four—" Ezekiel turned to him. "I will make sure you're not followed from here. Zephyr and I, you can trust us—keep Octavia safe and get the hell out of here before erudite tracks you." Ezekiel released me and reached around himself, pulling out a walkie. "Channel three. I'll update you regularly. Turn it on around dawn, I'll contact you, don't contact me—now go!" Ezekiel urged. His golden eyes narrowed at me with urgency.

"Thank you." Four reached his hand to Ezekiel, who scoffed disrespectfully at the gesture. His eyes dropped momentarily to the hand before he raised into his full height, almost a head taller than Four. It made Four raise an eyebrow in surprise because he didn't take the hand. It was then Ezekiel brushed my hair away from my neck, revealing the bruises forming from when Four attacked me.