Chapter 17 - The lost star

"Sometimes the wrong choices bring you to the right place."

          The days weren't going as quickly as they used to

          The days weren't going as quickly as they used to. We had been given much more free time than we had in the first stage of training. Not that I complained much, it was nice having a few minutes to yourself occasionally. Luke and Roxy had disappeared after dinner, not giving a clear answer as to where they were going, luckily the twins had approached me.

"Up for another party?" Ly wriggled her eyebrows. It was not unlike the twins, even Tadeo who seemed to follow them everywhere. I had not been able to say no, leaving them only to get another shirt on. A blouse, hugging my figure tightly. It was showing off my petite form and my tattoos on my forearms, seeing as the sleeves only reached to my elbows. I no longer had any baby fat on my body, the rigorous training Four had put us through had put an end to that.

Even before we reached the party, I knew it was Zeke once again. The guy held way to many parties and was apparently notorious for it. The wide grin he sent us all when opening the door, made me feel even more of a crime rider than last time. There were a lot of people this time. Feeling a bit overwhelmed, I retracted to the kitchen area. It provided me with a bit more quiet compared to the living room.

I hadn't been in the kitchen for a long time before someone approached me. Surprisingly it was Gabriel. "Octavia, how are you?" He smiled brightly to me before pulling me into a surprise hug. It was executed rather awkwardly from my side because I hadn't been prepared for it at all. I didn't feel like I knew him well enough to be hugging yet, but he had properly had a few drinks, so I shrugged it off.

"Gabriel—Hello." I chuckled awkwardly, brining my arms up to my chest, crossing them and leaning against the counter behind me. "I'm great, what about you?" I asked. The standard reply to that question because it was all I could manage.

"A bit tired, thanks for asking." Gabriel resumed the same stance as me, though his hip was leaned against the counter instead, leaving him turned towards me. "It's been a few long couple of weeks. I've been taking extra hours in the control room now that Four is training you guys." Gabriel rubbed the back of his neck before catching my eyes.

"Oh yeah, I remember Four saying something about that. He told us he usually worked in the control room." I smiled, still feeling a bit awkward beside Gabriel. The few times I had been speaking to him, hadn't been entirely pleasant because he had threatened to tell on me once, and then been after his sisters. "It sounds exhausting." I said, genuinely worried.

"Luckily, its only temporarily. Once Four is done training you guys, he'll be back to help cover the shifts again." Gabriel covered a yawn with the back of his hand as I shifted upright, intending to leave him. I wasn't much for this conversation. Gabriel was rather hard to figure out.

"That's a good thing." I smiled to him, already having taken the first step to leave him. But when he wouldn't let me go, I wasn't surprised at all.

"Octavia—" Gabriel spoke my name rather quickly and I returned my attention to him. "—I've heard that Eric's been one for sore eyes lately. What happened at that time in the dining hall?" He asked, genuinely sounding interested but it was also said to keep me there and make conversation. I wasn't stupid. Gabriel had to have something against Eric like his sisters had. I had only learnt bits and pieces, but knew the twins resented him.