Chapter 58 - Cleaning up

"You're bigger than your fear, stronger than your doubts, and more capable than you could ever imagine."

Eric winced for the third time and recoiled away from the healer binding his wound

Eric winced for the third time and recoiled away from the healer binding his wound. He had been bleeding badly enough for me to demand a healer to look at him. "Thank you." I quickly said, dismissing the healer before Eric would snap at her. She smiled weakly before collecting her stuff from the floor. It was a brave Candor that had tended to both Eric and Valentine.

I crouched down next to Eric and rested my hands on his thighs, both to center him and to let him know I wanted to speak with him but not with the healer so close. I kept my eyes on her as she left, the small woman hurried past the big brute in the door. He looked miserable and not like he wanted to be there at all.

He had his arms crossed, hands wrapped around his elbows and rested against his chest. He even carried an unapproachable expression on his face. He was heavily tattooed, bald and to the older side. Eric noticed where I was looking and scoffed. "He's all bark but no bite." He whispered after he had lowered his mouth to my ear. I shivered because I hadn't been prepared for that proximity.

Eric grinned and placed a kiss on the soft spot behind my ear. I shuddered again and clasped a hand over the spot to keep him from doing it again. "Stop it!" I sneered. "Don't go starting something you can't finish—" I warned but trailed off when seeing his raised eyebrow.

"Who said I couldn't finish it?" He asked and grabbed onto me, his hand resting against the back of my neck. I was yanked closer and forced to brace myself against the armrests of the chair. Eric chuckled and kissed me longingly. He was definitely feeling better.

I raised an eyebrow before standing up, but Eric followed and that alarmed the man in the doorway. He stared at us from the corner of his eye before he grunted and turned away, ignoring our existence again. I rolled my eyes and turned back to Eric who smiled carefully. "I really want to get you cleaned up—" I sighed and cupped his face, examining some of the bruises underneath the dried blood.

Eric groaned and moved away while removing my hands from his cheeks. "I wouldn't mind getting cleaned up either—" He concurred and looked at the man in the doorway again.

"There's a bathroom on the other side of this room—secluded and not often used." I explained and turned to the man. "Excuse me, could we perhaps be allowed to go the the bathroom at the end of the hall—" I smiled and gathered my hands behind my back.

"You know what will happen if you help him escape. There's no way you're going to be able to leave this building unseen." The man continued, eyes liking me up and down a few times before he stepped aside.

I blinked at him. Extremely surprised it was that easy. "You've the only leader that didn't abandon us—so I will give you this one thing." He added when I reached a hand out to Eric, intending to call his name as well. All bark but no bite, Eric had been right.