Chapter 29 - A game of dare

"Life itself is a privilege. But to live life to the fullest—well, that is a choice."

          After dinner I had retracted to the training room again, in need of some quiet because I was going to fight Sophia tomorrow

          After dinner I had retracted to the training room again, in need of some quiet because I was going to fight Sophia tomorrow. Four had introduced more physical training again because there would always be a few days between us facing the fear simulator. I was really dreading the fact that I had to face her again and had to put my mind at ease somehow.

We had already reached the third stage of training and such but because we weren't many transfers, we were far ahead of the dauntless born. Some of them would go through the fear landscape tomorrow and others would fight each other. It was as if they thought we would forget the training.

I had been chosen to fight, or spare or whatever you could call it. Pure bullshit. I screamed in frustration at the boxing bag, punching it as hard as I could. But it only earned me pain. I winced and held my hand to my chest while cursing my own actions. I hadn't really seen Eric since our sparing that turned make out session in the training room. Of course, I had seen him during our training and such. But not really seen him. I scrubbed my face at the absurdity because I actually missed him. And then I had said those damn words.

My body was aching, I had pushed myself to go further because the final ranking and the fear landscape was rapidly approaching. It didn't take much for me to recall how Eric's and my one sparring lesson in the training room, turned make-out session, ended with a promise. I had made him promise.

I blushed and stilled my endless thrashing at the boxing bag. Just remembering everything else that had happened between Eric and me, made me blush and lean my forehead against the boxing bag. My hand flew up to cover my mouth, fingers tracing my lips, the wound there almost gone again. Fuck. I then threw my hand at the bag again before turning away, only to notice the group of people entering the room.

I recognized very few of them, the only one I truly recognized was Ezekiel from the fence. When our eyes locked, he halted, tensing rather awkwardly as a flask was tossed to him. He barely managed to catch it because he had been looking at me. It was silver and not particularly small. Then he grinned and stepped aside to allow Eric to enter behind him. My heart skipped an actual beat when seeing him. Shit. Ezekiel turned to him after he had taken a small sip of the content in the silver flask, and then threw it to him.

Eric caught it effortlessly before he noticed me. There was a clear frown on his lips when Ezekiel took the next opportunity and went my way. They were a group of eight, only Eric and Ezekiel were people I knew, or so I had thought at first glance. When my eyes moved over the group again they landed on Tadeo in the back, acting as if he was hiding. I blinked, clearly confused as to what he was doing amongst them.

He looked small compared to the others as he stood behind an older version of him. I was surprised I hadn't noticed before when seeing the similarities between them. My eyes shifted between them, they had to be brothers. Then Tadeo noticed me, he had been looking at the ground not looking entirely comfortable. He broke into a smile, and I did as well. It was not often I saw him without the twins and gathered it had been his brother that had pulled him along.