Chapter 35 - Erudite

"Sometimes you can't explain what you see in a person. It's just the way they take you to a place where no one else can."

Adjusting to life in dauntless proved harder than I expected

Adjusting to life in dauntless proved harder than I expected. I now had a new purpose, and it was a heavy weight to carry. It was not easy being in leadership and with Erudite pushing for control over the government, it made everything ten times worse. The chaotic politics was boring and hard to chew but I managed the best I could. It had already been a couple of weeks since Grayson retired, and my support wheels came off.

I still didn't agree with that part of dauntless life. It was brutal that just because you reached a certain age, you had to leave Dauntless. I understood you wouldn't be able to perform as you did when younger but that was just brutal. Eric and I had gotten into a bad argument over it one day and since, I had not spoken about my distain for the rule. It was something I wanted to change now that I had attained a position in leadership.

A groan left me. It was too early to think this hard. I scrubbed my face and twisted around to lie on my stomach. Eric was still lying next to me, on his stomach as usual. Head resting on the pillow and arms beneath it. The position didn't look particularly comfortable, but this was how Eric slept, or mostly slept. It was also the position where he snored the least.

I touched his shoulder while pushing up onto an elbow. I even placed a kiss on his bare shoulder before gently caressing his back. It was time to get up. I had briefly seen the digits on my watch. Max had called for yet another morning meeting. He seemed to like them the most. "Eric, wake up." I yawned.

Eric groaned but shifted and turned his head towards me. His eyes were open. For once he had woken up when the alarm went off. He blew out a long breath and closed his eyes again. He was extremely tired. He had been preparing for the arrival of this year's initiates which would happen in just a few weeks. No one had signed up to train them, so he and Four were going to train them again this year.

No matter how much Eric hated Four, they did make a good team. "Eric, don't fall asleep again." I sighed when he closed his eyes and shifted closer to him. He groaned and turned around to lie on his back. I took the opportunity to move over him. My chest resting against his before moving in for a kiss. Eric obliged but was a little too eager this early in the morning.

He sat up and pulled me closer to him, shifting me so that I came to straddle his thighs. I broke the kiss and moved out of his reach. Eric groaned. He then locked his arms around my waist. "Why is it that Max always calls for these fucking morning meetings." He groaned when resting his chin against my shoulder.

I relaxed and moved my own arms around his neck. "I have no idea—maybe it's his way to annoy us the most." I chuckled. Eric pulled away from me instantly with a raised eyebrow. "I'm joking." I quickly added and he relaxed instantly. "Now, let me go—we're late." I reminded him.

Eric blew out a breath. It took him a few seconds to release me even though I'd reminded him we were late. I had felt his eagerness between my legs, but it was not the time. We had done it just last night. The small ache between my legs were still reminding me of it. Eric was very needy sometimes. No matter how tired he was, we would take at least two rounds of heated sex. A workout in itself.