Chapter 8

The doctors and nurses just kept going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. I tried to contain myself and not cry because if I did my mom would cry even more. Every time someone walked by Mrs.Sepulveda shed a tear. I stopped watching her because soon enough it'll make me cry. Finally the people stopped passing and it was much more silent. All the legs were shaking, the fingers tapping, teeth chattering, knuckles cracking, and every other thing you do when you're nervous. A doctor came out looking a bit exhausted, we thought he was just going to pass but when he stood in front of us everyone straightened their posture and got ready for the big news.

"Daniel Veda?" He asks for his supporters and the whole room stood up. He was a bit surprised by how many people but cleared his throat and continued. "He's ok and-" We all interrupt him by cheering and rejoicing. "and, he is allowed to be visited but-" He shouts over us and we cheer again. "a few people at a time!"

After the cheering dies down his family went in first but Mariah came and rolled her wheelchair next to me.

"I wanna go last." She whispers in a sneaky tone and darts her eyes around and I laugh. "We all know you're gonna go last and I wanna see you guys reunite. It'll be so sweet." She looks up into the distance imagining it and holding her heart. "But anyways, I heard what happened." She says on a more serious note.

"I feel like it's my fault. Like if he died your mom would hate me." I tell her honestly.

"Well," She squints and says in a tone that tells me I'm right. "but that's not the point. Either way Daniel's always getting himself in those situations. He's so stubborn sometimes. Scratch that, most times. He just doesn't know when to give up." She shakes her head with a small smile. "But that's good because he didn't give up with you." She tries to make me feel better. I nod in agreement. "Is they datin over there?" She points to DTW and Shania.

"Not quite but soon I guess." I laugh, they're so cute together. He flirts with her and Shania blushes. Mariah looks like she's swooning over them.

"Ugh, can't wait till I get a boyfriend." She snaps. "You're seventeen Mariah and still don't got a boyfriend." She says to herself and shakes her head. I'm so happy I know Mariah, she just makes every situation ok. A guy walks into the room.

"Oh sorry, I just have to uh, walk through." He politely says but most of the time he was glancing at Mariah. He shuffles through and takes one last look of her before shutting the door.

"Zamn daddy. Cassandra come with me so I can catch my manz before it's too late." She says and I open the door for her giggling. He sees us and turns the corner right as we open the door and see him.

"Boo!" He scares us and runs away laughing.

"Charge!" Mariah shouts and I push her as fast as I can. When we turn the corner he's leaning on the wall much like the cool guy would in the movies.

"Sup." He head nods us.

"Sup." Mariah says back cooly.

"Oh, hi." I slightly wave.

"So, whatcha need?" He flicks imaginary dust off his shoulder and asks her.

"Your number." Mariah cracks her fingers and flips a hair a bit.

"Only if you give me yours." He tosses his phone and Mariah barely catches it. They freeze then laugh. "Yea I probably shouldn't have thrown that."

"No, not really." Mariah hands him her phone and giggles. They exchange numbers and go back in their cool phase. He leans back on the wall and Mariah raises her head up and bit and folds her hands.

"So uh, I'll see ya soon."

"Yep." She winks and snaps at him. He catches it and snaps back at her. "Smooth." They both try not to smile. After a good minute of staring I decide they're not gonna stop until the other person breaks.

"Bye now." I push Mariah and we leave. "That was some interesting flirting." I tell her.

"Oh my goodness Cassandra he was so cute."

"Yea I know, I heard you 'zamn daddy' him after he walked past." I laugh.

"Mariah is back in business." She rubs her hands together and shimmeys. "Well not back in business, but start in business? Right? Mariah is starting business." She goes back to her shimmey. We get back to the waiting room and I take my seat back.

"Still swooning over there, Mariah?"

"Jalen, Mariah, Marilen. Jariah, Lenriah, Riahlen." She dramatically swoops her hands around. "I like Marilen." She turns to me. Her phone vibrates and a huge smile lights on her face. "He texted me!" She squeals and starts typing on her phone. Her and Jalen would be a pretty bomb couple to be honest. I'm happy for her.

"The last two visitors?" The doctor calls out.

"Mariah." I point to the door and she looks up.

"Oh, ok let's go."