Chapter 13: Trap

I raised an eyebrow as I watched Plagg. He was muttering under his breath about Hawkmoth and cheese. He froze and looked at me from the corner of his eye before turning to face me while we halted at the edge of the building. He returned his gaze to the view in front of him before he flinched at the sight of the disaster before us.

I stared at the sight of the town square, Place Denfert Rochereau. My heart sank as I looked around the Place. Where the proud lion once stood was nothing now but mere dust. The buildings around it had chunks torn out of them and looked absolutely deserted. The moonlight flittering from the right was no help in making it appear friendly, as a matter of fact; it appeared to be trying to escape. It looked more like an age old ghost town from the Americans' western tales.

The Akumas had chosen where the trap would be laid. I was still trying to figure out why they wanted this place so badly. Whenever I suggested another open space, they immediately shot it down or ignored me.

A soft groan escaped me before I felt my back prick with unease; almost feeling like someone was watching me. I jumped as a small growl escaped Plagg. I looked at him in time to see him look away from whatever he was watching behind him. I glanced back, not seeing anything but feeling the new sensation of someone's gaze burning into me. A shiver ran down my back as I pushed it away.

"Do I have to do this?" Plagg grumbled under his breath as I looked at him. He turned to me, appearing unhappy. "Why can't Copycat do it? He looks like Cat Noir and Cat Blanc hates Cat Noir," he whined as I rolled my eyes. He's been grumbling about this non-stop.

"Because, his job is to lure Cat Blanc here then he will go after you because you look like Adrien and for some reason, Cat Blanc hates him." I shrugged dismissively as Plagg narrowed his eyes while his mouth twisted into a frown.

"He hates me looking like 'Adrien' because he is Adrien!" Plagg hissed as his eyes flashed dangerously. "When will you accept the fact that Adrien has been your partner this entire time?!" He snapped as he clenched his teeth and curled his hands into fists.

I sighed and placed my hands on my hips, feeling eyes burn into me from a watcher. I automatically dismissed it as one of the Akumas watching us. "I will believe it when I see it." I hummed lightly as I pointed to the dust pile of the square as Plagg's nostril's flared with irritating anger before he flipped off the building.

I froze when I heard soft laughter behind me. "You want purrroof of my identity, Princess?" I swallowed as a familiar silky voice drifted closer to me. My heart hammered in my chest as I felt his body heat behind me. I slowly turned around. Moonlight glinted off of his white suit as his tail swung slowly. I lifted my gaze only to lock onto his rubied eyes. A suave smile curled his mouth, revealing his pearly-white fangs.

"C-Cat?" I stammered as I swallowed a knot that had lodged into my throat. His smile turned into a smirk.

"Aye." Cat Blanc purred as he leaned towards me, looking at me through his ebony lashes. Cold sweat drenched my palms as I swallowed again. My nostrils flared as his minty breath tickled my lips. My legs wobbled as I tried to remain up right. I gripped the building's ledge while taking a step back just as he backed off. His soft laughter filled the air. His eyes twinkled with amusement. "Unfortunately you won't be finding your sweetheart today."

I glared at him as he slightly tilted his head to the right, his smile growing. "What's wrong Milady? Cat got your tongue?" He snickered before backing up and running to the edge, springing off and twirling his body sideways before he disappeared from sight.

Why didn't Plagg sense him before? Or said anything about him being here? I peered over the edge to see Plagg sitting in the center of the square. He released a bunch of complaints that made me flinch. I searched the grounds for Cat Blanc to see him watching Plagg from my right, in the darkest shadows. I looked at Plagg to see he was also watching his chosen from the corner of his eye. Perhaps Plagg did sense him and that's why he sprang from the roof.