Chapter 2: Luck

Guilt consumed me as I closed my window and pressed my back against it, hoping Father wouldn't walk in on me. I had acted like a cat the whole time during the Akuma attack. The only person who knew that I could act that way was Plagg and he encouraged it. I sighed as I looked at my closet, almost tempted to get out the balls of yarn before I shook my head free from such thoughts.

I wanted nothing more to do than curl into a ball on my bed. My heart throbbed from embarrassment but I couldn't focus on that. I swallowed a knot in my throat before releasing a forlorn sigh, wondering what father's punishment would be this time. I could feel Plagg's concerned gaze on me as he floated over my left shoulder.

I looked at my computer desk before hesitantly approaching it, curious at what I would find on the Ladyblog. I flipped my computer on and watched as the three screens hummed to life.

I stared hard at the newest video. My mouse hovered over the play button, I wanted to watch it and not to at the same time. I hesitated before clicking. I frowned at the sight of Ivy telling Ladybug who she was. I sighed then skipped ahead to see what Ayla had captured.

I huffed at the sound of her laughter when she had managed to catch sight of me rolling all over the plants while saying that I was more of a cat than she had previously thought. Then she crooned about something of Ladybug being loyal and staying and making sure I was myself.

I groaned softly as I leaned back against my swivel chair. I looked at the screen to see the video show me curling up in Ladybug's lap. I exhaled slowly as I leaned forward and flipped everything off. At least it'll get positive reviews?

I dropped onto my bed next to my computer desk. Plagg already munching on his camembert cheese as he drifted over to the bed, wanting to see if I was ok. I slowly released my breath as my heart clenched with worry; father was taking too long to enter the room. He would've been here as soon as the Akuma was gone. I grumbled under my breath and grabbed my pillow, covering my face with it. I didn't want to see him come in nor did I want to deal with the embarrassment that was finally fading.

I listened to my surroundings as the muffled sound of my bedroom door clicked closed. I felt my body freeze as a familiar cold presence crawled over me and invaded my room. I sighed into the pillow, already remembering the meeting I had missed thanks to the Akuma. I was hoping Father would be in bed by now; thus his late appearance, or something like that. Luck just wasn't on my side.

"Adrien." A soft voice called. I shot up as my pillow fell into my lap. I swallowed the knot in my throat while I resisted the urge to hang my head in shame. I blinked as I placed my hands on the pillow, watching Gabriel Agreste approach the foot of my bed. His blue eyes flicked up and down the length of my body with anger. His blonde hair seemed to glow in the disappearing sun as his arms vanished behind his back.

I tried to swallow a knot that had lodged its self in my throat, again. I knew I had missed the meeting. At least I could use the excuse that I was trapped in my room but knowing my father, he wouldn't care either way. He always expected me to do what I could, to be perfect and to achieve what I deemed almost impossible. The truth was, I am not perfect. If I was, I would've told my father a long time ago that I was Cat Noir.

"Hello Father." I said softly and tucked my guilt away for when he had left. I didn't need him to find something else to toss at me. I pulled on a mask of calm and almost expressionless.

Father narrowed his gaze and studied me over once more. I fought a shiver that wanted to run its course over my body. I still felt like I was covered in catnip leaves; thankfully, I couldn't smell them anymore or I would be rolling all over the bed and I didn't need my father asking what was wrong with me. "Why did you not show up to the meeting?" He asked in a dangerously soft voice.

I stiffened at his question. I blinked as my gaze connected with his. Father's blue eyes were hard and searching for any flaw to drag out; or at least, that's what I thought. "I got trapped in my room from the Akuma attack." He glowered at me as his scowl turned into a distasteful frown. I took a deep breath resisting another urge to drop my head; instead I sat up straighter and waited for the scolding that would follow.

"That is no excuse," he growled softly, his eyes narrowing dangerously. I winced at the tone of his voice. "You could've arrived early enough to avoid the Akuma's attack. But instead you slept in," he went silent and stared at me, almost like he could see through me. "Almost makes one wonder what you do all night," his gaze dropped to my silver ring briefly before looking at me again. I went still as I shifted nervously on the bed, discreetly looking around the room and wondering where Plagg had hidden himself. "Have you become nocturnal like Cat Noir?"

I snapped my attention to his, wondering if he somehow knew who my alter ego was. I swallowed as I clenched my ringed hand into fist before relaxing. Does he know that I'm Cat Noir? No. If he did, he would've taken my ring from me and tell me something among the lines of not 'Playing hero'.

He growled softly at my lack of response. "You are grounded." I blinked, panic slowly crawling through my veins. "You can have no friends over and there will be no school for you for this next week." He hissed as my heart dropped. "You will do everything I tell you to with no complaints or words spoken." I watched helplessly as he turned around and disappeared through my skating ramp.

I lost everything? I sat there staring at my window in shock as Plagg darted out of his hiding place, quickly discarding his cheese. Anger quickly boiled deep within. I gave a cry of frustration and anguish once I heard the door close.

I turned to my black Kwami as he flinched before staring at me wide eyed. "Adrien?" He called as I gripped the edge of my bed. I closed my eyes as an animalistic growl erupted from my throat. I looked at him to see him hover near my ring, as if waiting for the command.

"Plagg, transform me!" I hissed angrily before slamming my window open, wanting to vent my frustrations. My father has never done this to me before. I growled under my breath as I landed on a building across the street from my house. I looked at the setting sun as I grit my teeth in a scowl.

I took off running before spinning my staff and extending it while I leapt over an ally way. I growled as I jammed it into the ground before using it to fling myself further, trying to work out the frustrations in my tensed body.

I scanned the buildings looking for someplace to land before I summersaulted, using my staff to push me forward. I wasn't looking where I was going; I was running from my home life.

I ground my teeth as I landed. I backed up and took running again leaping over the railings of the roof, fighting the tears that stung my eyes. I was tired of being the doll on the shelf with strings attached to my limbs. I was tired of dancing around for others amusement and not for my own. I was tired of being Adrien. I was sick and tired of everything that had nothing to do with my nocturnal life. I didn't want to go back to being Adrien. I wanted to remain free as Cat Noir for the rest of my life.

I landed on a roof as I stared at the rising moon. Tears streamed down my cheeks as anger coiled deeper in my gut, unaware of someone else on the roof with me. I released an anguished cry as I sank to the ground sobbing. I held my head as I felt something brush against my cheek. I looked up to see something flutter down towards me.