Chapter 47 - Doing what's right

Start from the beginning

We halted by the next corner, made sure that there were no one around before we sprinted towards Monroe and state. Tris threw herself at the door, pushing it open with her shoulder and kept the door open so I could enter behind her. She was an adequate runner, not as fast as me but still fast.

There was only darkness, very little light when we entered the building. I kept my gun raised just in case but when we were greeted by multiple silhouettes dressed in grey, I lowered it again, pointing it towards the ground but kept it secured between both my hands. "Where's my father?" Tris asked and looked around when people dressed in grey emerged.

"Beatrice." Andrew stepped forwards and Tris threw herself towards her father. Their embrace was tight and very unlike abnegation. They rarely showed affection towards each other in public. I had to look away from the show of affection. It hurt to look at because all my previous ignored feelings swelled up in me with a malicious vengeance. "Your mother?" Andrew asked when releasing his daughter.

"She saved me." Tris cried in a whisper when a young boy dressed in blue stepped out. "Caleb." She muttered and went to him instead. They embraced as well, and I wondered if he was her brother. He had to be, why else would they embrace each other. He kept apologizing to her.

Then a person I recognized stepped forth. Marcus. My eyes narrowed at the abnegation leader before my fingers squeezed the cold metal in my hand. I had to suppress the urge to raise my gun. It would take one bullet. I bit down the urge as the man looked at me with fear. He was not happy with my presence. I didn't blame him. He knew of dauntless leadership and he knew exactly who I was. And since dauntless was helping erudite, I had to be the enemy.

"We need to leave here." Marcus interrupted. My focus snapped to him, though his had never left me. I tilted my head backwards in challenge, but he turned away from me. "Are there soldiers outside?" Marcus finally turned to Tris.

I scoffed and answered instead. "No." Marcus looked back to me, an eyebrow raised as Tris stepped forth, almost standing in between us. Though the air had dropped a few degrees she retained the same diplomatic stance Four always took. And how it annoyed me.

"There are no more soldiers outside." I informed and holstered my gun. He wasn't even worth it. A conclusion i had come to when he looked between Tris and I. I then crossed my arms over my chest and turned to Tris as well. "What now? We need to stop that simulation and get Four back."

She nodded when the erudite boy stepped forth again. "What is happening. I don't understand why they are doing this. Why is dauntless fighting for erudite?" His eyes shifted between his sister and me. I nibbled at my lower lip and turned my gaze down while shifting uncomfortably from one foot to the other. But Tris answered in my stead when I couldn't find my words.

"They don't know what they're doing. They're under simulation. We need to wake them up. I need to get into dauntless. We need to get into dauntless." Tris corrected and turned to me when Marcus stepped forth.

"It's a fortress. It's not going to happen." Marcus sounded very defeated. I rolled my eyes and turned towards the door for a moment. The other abnegation had taken a step forward while we spoke. But yes, dauntless is a fortress to the untrained eye. But I had lived there for a year, been a leader for almost the same period. I knew a way in.

"To the untrained eye, yes dauntless is a fortress—but I can get us in." I smirked and turned to Tris. "But you might not like it." I grinned. "The second initiation jump. The net is still there. It doesn't get taken down because people like the thrill of that jump." It was hard to contain my excitement, but I didn't care what they thought of me, none of it mattered anymore.

"Wait—Octavia, why are you doing this?" Andrew's voice reached my ears after I had turned towards the door. My hand rested on the doorknob but hadn't grabbed it completely. "But first, thank you. First you warn us, then you bring me my daughter." Andrew had taken as step forward when speaking. I was able to see it from the corner of my eye. He looked eternally grateful despite the fact that he had just lost his wife.