Chapter 25

*Not edited*

Once it was time to leave they piled into the car and Alex drove them down to her house. Skylar noticed him wiping his palms against his jeans a few times after they had gotten out and were headed to the door, so she grabbed  his hand and held it, hoping it would bring some comfort. "Relax, Alex. My mom already loves you, so you have nothing to worry about." She told him, but he simply nodded, giving her an anxious smile. 

Skylar rang the doorbell, despite the fact that it was her own house, and stroked the back of his hand with her thumb as they waited. The door opened, and her mother greeted them both with hugs, her dad looming in the background like the grim reaper. Skylar made her way past her mother to  hug her father and was enveloped into his arms, a kiss planted on her head, before she leaned up to his ear and whispered. "Go easy on this one." Patting her dad's cheek, she smiled and went back to Alex, grabbing a hold of his hand again. 

"Supper is almost ready." Mrs. Clayton told them, and Alex smiled at her. 

"It smells amazing. Is there anything that I could help with?" He asked, glancing at Mr. Clayton who seemed very intent on just staring at his daughter's new boyfriend. 

Mrs. Clayton looked around the room and then handed Alex a set of plates and Skylar the utensils. "If you'd set the table, then that would be wonderful." She told them, motioning for her husband to follow her into the kitchen, which he did although reluctant to leave Alex and Skylar alone. 

In the separate dining room, Alex and Skylar worked at getting the table set. She wanted to help ease his nerves, but she didn't know how. But she would try anyways. 

"You know, my dad seems all tough, but he really isn't. And if he does or says anything mean, you know that my mom and I will probably attack him for it, right? I don't think he will at all, but if he does, we'll back you up. He's just making sure that your treating me right, and you are, so there's really no need to worry. Okay?" She had begun to ramble on a little, and was setting utensils at each place mat, when she heard Alex chuckle. Looking up, she saw him looking at her, a grin on his face. 

"I know you're worried about me being nervous, but it's just because I want your family to approve of me. Don't get so wound up about this dinner, Sky. I think you're more nervous than I am." He teased, walking over and kissing her forehead. "Don't worry. It'll be fine." 

She blinked and began to nod as she realized that she really was nervous about this dinner. Alex meant a lot to her, but he had a reputation, and her dad could be pretty strict about who she was dating. No matter what they thought of him, she wouldn't leave him over it, but she still wanted them to approve. After all, Lucas's disapproval had made both her and Alex upset. She just didn't want their relationship to upset other people, or to become a burden on themselves. "Thanks. I guess I am a bit nervous." She sighed and ran a hand through her hair, careful not to disturb the curls too much. 

Leaning down, Alex kissed her softly, before he pulled away and wrapped an arm around her. It was the perfect timing, because right then, her mother walked in carrying the lasagna and set it on the table. After rounding up the rest of the meal from the kitchen, and putting it on the table, they all sat down to eat. 

"Can you please pass the garlic bread?" Skylar asked her father, who had been too quiet when Alex arrived. She gave him a please-be-nice look as he handed the plate of garlic bread, and she could have swore that he rolled his eyes internally at her. Everyone's plates were soon heaped up with lasagna, caesar salad, and garlic bread, as the food smelt delicious and it was impossible to not indulge. Skylar thought about how well Alex would fit into the family as she watched him shovel his food into his mouth, politely of course, and then looked over at her dad who was doing the same. Her mom raised her eyebrow and gave her a doesn't-this-look-familiar look as the boys ate the delicious food. A quiet giggle escaped her lips and Alex and her dad stopped mid-shovel to look at her. 

"What?" They asked in unison, looking at Sky. She simply shook her head and chuckled before she decided to spark a conversation at the quiet dinner table. 

"How was your day, Dad?" She inquired, taking a bite of her salad. 

He paused in his eating and cleared his throat before he answered. "It was alright. My people are working hard and getting stuff done. Which is good. Like I always say..." 

"A company is built on the effectiveness and well-being of it's workers." The ladies finished for him. He left his mouth open for a few seconds, the words he was about to say having already been stolen, before he just closed it. His wife sent him a playful wink and Skylar saw her father's lips turn up into a small smile. Reaching over Sky found Alex's hand and smiled, entwining their fingers together. He paused in his eating to give her hand a soft squeeze and to shoot her a smile.  "So how is your job Alex? Are you enjoying having work?" Mrs. Clayton asked him, finishing off her garlic bread. 

"I'm enjoying it very much, ma'am. It keeps me busy, and helps pay the bills and babysitting fees..." He paused, realizing that he had just told them that he was taking care of a child, with not even being sure that Skylar had told them about his little sister.

"Babysitting fees?" Mr. Clayton coughed, leaning forward concerned, and as he did so he gave his wife a I-knew-this-wasn't-a-good-idea look. 

"Yes sir. I look after my little sister and she needs someone else to take care of her when I'm working." He replied as quickly but as politely as he could. Mrs. Clayton gave her husband a countering I-know-what-I'm-talking-about look, and it made Skylar smile a little as she stroked Alex's hand for reassurance. 

"Why aren't your parents paying bills and looking after your sister?" Skylar's father asked, concerned now. 

Alex turned his gaze down to his plate, holding onto Skylar's hand a little bit tighter. "They left awhile ago. And now Grace is my responsibility. I'm giving her the best childhood that I can, and I'll be there for her more than they would have ever been." Alex then looked at Mr. Clayton straight on and he returned the boy's statement with a nod of approval before going back to eating. 

The rest of the night they talked about plenty of topics, the conversation sometimes ending for short spurts of silence before starting up again. After supper, the boys went into the kitchen and washed dishes while the ladies cleared the table and then it was time for Alex to go home. 

After saying good-bye to his girlfriend's mother and father, Alex and Skylar stood outside, the front door closed, her hands in his. "They really like you." She pointed out, smiling and leaning up to kiss him. He chuckled and wrapped her in his arms in a hug. Closing her eyes she just relaxed in that moment and wrapped her arms around his waist. Then she sent him off to his car, leaning in the open window and giving him one last kiss before he was on his way home. By then, her mom and dad were on the porch, side by side and holding each other as they waved Alex off. They all went inside and headed to bed. 

Hey guys :) Almost 17K views! That's amazing. Not sure when the next chapter will be done. It takes me awhile sometimes. I hope you guys have had a wonderful summer and I hope you enjoyed the chapter. 

Love ya guys, 

Kenna :)