Chapter 4

Emily slowly stepped towards the door. Alarm screamed in her mind. What was Alison doing? Why did Emily enjoy it?  What was going to happen to their relationship? She only just realised Alison was alive. What if all of this was still a dream? What if when Emily pulled open the door, she would wake up right in front of the barn? Emily stared at the door. She didn't want to face Alison. She took a deep breath. She quickly pulled open kept her gaze at her feet. Emily very slowly raised her gaze at Alison. Her eyes were wide and she was fumbling with her hands. Her cheeks were bright red and her 'hair' looked lopsided.

"Emily. I'm sorry." She whispered while looking at Emily. "I was just...just caught up in the moment."

"Alison it's fine. We all get lost sometimes." Emily said calmly, but her hands were shaking slightly. She already regretted what she was about to say next. "Let's just forget about it."

Alison swallowed and then blinked.

"Okay then." Alison said with slight disappointment. She the shook her head and grinned.

"Let's go and shop!" She said confidently with a painted on smirk.

Alison and Emily had been walking for twenty minutes when they finally reached a mall. They were mostly silent, still acknowledging what happened in the hotel room. Their minds were screaming, but their mouths stayed shut. It was a lovely night, despite all of the drunk people and the things going on in their personal lives. It was warm and not too loud, especially as they were away from the hotel and club. But Emily's head still buzzed. A was still out there. Her friends were still in danger. She tried to feel guilty, but she just couldn't bring herself to do so. Especially as she was with Alison. Then her mind jolted straight back to the last moments in the hotel room just as she said Ali's name in her head. She needed a distraction from her yelling thoughts.

"Ali, how do you know where you are going?" Emily asked suddenly. Alison smiled to herself.

"I came here once with Aria. I wanted to cheer her up after her parents..." She paused. "And I came here once with my friend CeCe. You wouldn't know her." Alison said, with a feeling of nostalgia. Emily gasped.

"But Ali, what if A knew you came here? What if this is just another trap that we'll get swallowed into? What if it was a huge mistake coming here?" Emily said while pulling her wrist backwards. She didn't want to hold her hand after...

Alison shook her head, while stopping dead in her tracks. She glanced at Emily's hand on her wrist with a flicker of an emotion which Emily didn't recognise.

"But what if it wasn't a trap?" Alison said while sashaying towards the quite petite mall in front of them. "I have been careful for all of these years Em. Plus, A has no idea where we are. A doesn't even know I'm alive." She insisted to Emily who still was in denial. "Look we're here anyway."

The wall in front of them was made of glass and had an automatic door which seemed to not be working. The building itself seemed quite small for a mall, but it seemed to be quite a small town anyway. Near the main automatic doors there were two fountains on either side which still seemed to be switched on.

"How are we going to do this Ali?" Emily whispered. "It's really not a good idea. Even if we don't get caught by A, we could easily get caught by the police. Please, Alison. Can we just go back?" Emily pleaded in a hushed voice, while gesturing towards the closed mall.

"Em, I have done this at least a million times. Look if you don't want to do it then stay out here. But you're on your own." Alison said in a louder voice. She sighed when she saw Emily looking down. Emily felt a pang of hurt. "I'm sorry Emily. I understand that you obviously don't want to commit a crime. It's just that I don't have enough money to buy you clothes and we can't exactly go back to your house –"