Chapter 18: Back From The Dead.

May 2008

"We're going to the party. C'mon, climb down. I'll catch you." She harshly whispered up to me. I felt a smile streak across my face as I leaned back into the bedroom, grabbing the small black bag that had my phone and a few other items in it. I wasn't about to miss the senior's bon fire just because my mom and stepdad don't like me going. I'm only a High School senior once and this bon fire is seniors only, no one else is allowed to come. Invitation only.

I went back to the window and peered down at Bree, she was readying herself to catch me if need be. I hoisted one leg out the window and held onto the shutter so I didn't fall. Once I was dangling out the window, hanging onto the windowsill for dear fucking life, I grabbed onto the storm drain beside my window and readied myself to drop the ten feet to the ground. Luckily, Bree held true to her word and at least tried to break my fall. We both tumbled to the ground with loud exhales and groans. We stayed there for a silent moment, hiding in the dim evening darkness, waiting to make sure no one saw or heard us. I didn't want my mom or Quinn to catch us. We'd be in big trouble if they did. My mom would kill me if she found out I dropped ten feet from my bedroom window to go to a bonfire. Quinn would probably help her hide my body.

Once I thought it was safe I carefully rolled over onto my stomach and crawled to the side of the house where there were no windows. Bree followed behind me, staying close.

"Where'd you park?" I whispered back to her.

"Just beyond the tree line. I figured you wouldn't be allowed to come so I hid the car and came up through the woods." Bree was always the brains of our operations, as you can so easily tell. She was an AP student with straight A's. She's graduating with honors and going to New York for School in the fall. Bree and I silently crawled beyond the shadowed tree line before standing up and trekking the rest of the way to her beaten up yellow beetle. I couldn't help but grin evilly as we passed by my house and made our way to the bonfire on the other side of town. My mom and Quinn were seen moving around through the window in the living room, they appeared to be talking heatedly to each other. I didn't really care though.

The wind blew through my hair wildly; there was nothing but joy and freedom pulsing through my veins. Loud music, warm night air roaring through the open windows as we sped down the back roads made of potholes and gravel, that's all you need to have when you're on the road to Heaven. Hell that is the road to Heaven. Maybe, just maybe, this is actually the road to Hell. I'd like to imagine Hell as a constant Spring Break party while Heaven is a tea party with the Queen, drinking tea and eating cucumber sandwiches while listening to drab music all damn day.

"How much trouble do you think you're gonna be in when you go back?" Bree asked, laughing. The mere thought of having to go back put me in a bad mood but I brushed it off with the thought of how red Quinn's face will be when I come home after he realizes I snuck out through my window. Usually I just go through the front door, or even the back door, rarely ever my window. I wanted to totally brush it off with that image but I couldn't. I knew I'd be in a shit ton of trouble when I got home, it makes me not want to go home. There are some times when I don't go home because I am afraid of what'll happen to me. My mom and Quinn haven't done anything over the line, yet, but I am terrified that I'll one day cross the line and they will follow me. I'm afraid after that day the only person who would be sorry will be me. I'd be sorry I ever came home, or even crossed that line.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they sent me away for some kind of punishment." I laughed as well, even though I was a bit scared and I honestly didn't even want to go back there. Bree laughed as well and nodded her head in agreement. My mind immediately raced to another topic that scared me a little more than going home.