Chapter 16: Just Tonight.

3 Months Earlier . . .

My mother has a tendency to go overboard with the yelling when she gets mad. I've been up in my room for at least fifteen minutes already and I could still hear her shouting and stomping around downstairs, slamming doors and other things. All I did was ask if I could go out with my friend Bree. She didn't know that we were going to a party; she just needed to know I was going out. I've been on her shit list the last couple of weeks and now instead of going out whenever I wanted, I had to ask permission. Usually she doesn't really care where I go, when I go and who I go with as long as I check in once in a while. But seeing as I am on her shit list until the day I die, I had to ask and by me asking to go out with Bree she started to ask all sorts of questions and when I didn't give her the answers she liked she started throwing a temper tantrum. Quinn sent me up to my room. So that's where I've been for nearly twenty minutes now. She was still ranting and raving downstairs. I blocked it out, just like I usually do when she goes off on one of her tangents.

I didn't even know why I was on her shit list to begin with. I've done nothing wrong. I've followed all of her rules to the micro detail. Sure, I've bent them for my own selfish teenage benefit but I haven't broken them. Her irrational rules include:

-Worship the Lord at any given chance

-Keep your grades up

-No dating "bad boys"

-No dating, PERIOD

-No inappropriate music/pictures/TV shows/movies/videos

-No dirty talk

-No swearing

-Do not get into a car with a drunk driver

-Don't do drugs/alcohol.

-Don't come home drunk or high

-Check in once in a while

-No premarital sex

Okay, okay; so I haven't followed a few of the rules. There are a few rules that I've snapped in half like a twig in the fall. But for the most part I have obeyed the rules to a point. I can't say too much about that because as my shenanigans get crazier the less my mom cares and the fewer rules I have. I think it's to the point where my mom just doesn't care what I do or where I go, or who I'm with.

My attention was caught by the sound of something small and hard hitting the glass window. I stayed still for a moment, waiting to see if it happened again. And when it did I rolled onto my side, crawling off the side of my bed closest to the window. I yanked up the window and peered down to see the black haired girl. Bree smiled and shyly waved up at me.

"What're you doing here?" I asked her in a low voice. Bree strategically dodged the kitchen window that was diagonally below my bedroom window. She knew she'd make shit hit the fan if she's seen. Her dark eyes beamed up at me in the dark mid evening light.

"We're going to the party. C'mon, climb down. I'll catch you." She harshly whispered up to me. I felt a smile streak across my face as I leaned back into the bedroom, grabbing the small black bag that had my phone and a few other items in it. I wasn't about to miss the senior's bon fire just because my mom and stepdad don't like me going. I'm only a High School senior once and this bon fire is seniors only, no one else is allowed to come. Invitation only.

I went back to the window and peered down at Bree, she was readying herself to catch me if need be. I hoisted one leg out the window and held onto the shutter so I didn't fall. Once I was dangling out the window, hanging onto the windowsill for dear fucking life, I grabbed onto the storm drain beside my window and readied myself to drop the ten feet to the ground. Luckily, Bree held true to her word and at least tried to break my fall. We both tumbled to the ground with loud exhales and groans. We stayed there for a silent moment, hiding in the dim evening darkness, waiting to make sure no one saw or heard us. I didn't want my mom or Quinn to catch us. We'd be in big trouble if they did. My mom would kill me if she found out I dropped ten feet from my bedroom window to go to a bonfire. Quinn would probably help her hide my body.