Chapter 19: // Latch - Sam Smith //

As the next school week arrived and the final few days before the composition and Troye's departure drew closer, Tyler and Zoe noticed a change in Connor and Troye. They were pretty sure they weren't imagining the lingering looks, the excuses to have to leave the lunch table early, the secret exchanges of smiles and whispered, private and personal conversations.

"They have to be together." Zoe said to Tyler as she watched them walk away from the dinner table, not even bothering to make an excuse as to where they were going exactly this time. They were in too deep of a conversation, and Zoe swore she could see Connor blushing a little when Troye whispered something into his ear.

"Honey, Connor doesn't swing that way." Tyler replied, although he didn't sound so certain with himself anymore. "Unless...unless Troye's made him that way?"

"But think about it; Connor hasn't really shown any interests in girls as of late and all he's doing right now is hanging out with Troye. Like don't give me wrong, they could just be good friends but...I don't know, something seems different with them at the moment."

Tyler took another sip of his cola, a particular harsh suck on his straw as he considered Zoe's view. "I mean, if they are dating then they're not exactly being discrete. Even Joe and I were better at hiding it."

"A little too good." Zoe responded, her tone bland as she drummed her fingers onto the table. "But maybe that's the idea? Maybe they don't want to be discrete?"

Tyler thought about it for a moment, then found himself nodding as he rose from his seat. "Okay I've had enough of this. We're following them."

Zoe, seeming slightly bewildered as she watched him approach the cafeteria doors, reluctantly followed.

"Tyler, we can't just follow them. It's weird!"

Tyler rolled his eyes, speeding up his walking as he saw the two boys turn down the corridor.

"Look, you can either keep whining like a brat or join me. Whatever you do, I'm following them anyway."

Zoe shook her head, obviously disagreeing with the idea but walked alongside him nonetheless.

It turned out that Troye and Connor had gone into the music classroom, inside the back room where the piano and Connor's guitar was located. Tyler and Zoe slipped into the outer classroom quietly, the door to the back room left slightly ajar as they silently listened to the other boys conversing from behind the wall.

"Tyler, what if they're...you know." Zoe whispered with a bit of her lip.

"Then we walk in and just give them a speech on how to always use lube and a condom and let them get on with it over the piano. Now shush!" Tyler responded under his breath, before placing his full attention on listening to the two boys.

"You know, it was kind of rude of us to just leave the table." Connor said as he sat down next to Troye on the piano, his eyebrows raised as Troye began to play a few little rifts on the keys. He seemed quieter than usual, and Connor wasn't exactly sure why that was.

"I know, but I needed to show you something." Troye was overcome with shyness as he took a deep breath. "I'm in the middle of writing a song and I needed you to hear it."

"Okay." Connor nodded, the butterflies setting into his stomach almost immediately. "Go for it."

Troye closed his eyes, his nerves obviously apparent as he hit the first key and opened his mouth to sing.

But I wanna sleep next to you

Connor gasped, the words and voice and melody overwhelming him immediately.