Descendants of the Sun (Korean Drama) [SPOILERS]

Start from the beginning

Then we came to the rock scene. When Mo Yeon was trying to put that stone on top of the other stone and it kept blowing off, and then the radio turned on, I was like "NO". I was "about to smack a tree" is 'quote' what I said to one of my friends. In other words: I was about to have a fit. I distinctly remember saying something like "Bitch, how are you alive" as the song 'Here I Am' started playing. I cannot deny that I was a bit dramatic, but it was a very nasty thing to do to your poor viewers. I'm just glad that they did not die and that Dae Young was finally reunited with Myung Joo with a passionate kiss (hehe).

Descendants of the Sun is known for its beautiful OSTs, and I'll tell you now, I've never stopped listening to them, and It's been about 5 months now. The tops songs I would say are 'Always' by Yoon Mirae, 'Everytime' by Chen & Punch, 'You are my Everything' by Gummy, 'This Love' by Davichi, and 'How Can I Love you' by Xia. My favourite favourite at the moment is probably 'This Love'. 

My first impression of this drama was based upon the two male protagonists. When it started with them, I got the impression that this drama was going to be a bit dodgy because they were making nasty references and acting all cool. But soon we met the female protagonist(s) and they started having staring contests I was like okay, this is looking good (haha). 

I remember my best friend started watching this drama before me, and she had gotten about 5 or 6 episodes in and was saying things like "oh this is so slow, nothing is happening", and "no seriously, don't watch it" and I was like "how can there possibly be nothing happening?" I was adamant to prove her wrong and I sure did. I will never let her live it down that she told me not to watch it (mwahaha). Sure, there may not have been excessive romance action to begin with, but there was definitely a lot of story building going on.

Lets just say that the characters Yoo Si Jin and Kang Mo Yeon are very much without each other - although Si Jin and Dae Young make a very lovable comedy duo. Some say that Si Jin and Mo Yeon are what make the title, they are the descendants of the Sun, but I kind of feel that all of them on that mission in Uruk were descendants of the sun - the soldiers and the nurses/doctors. The setting, by the way, was strangely beautiful. The interactions between Si Jin and Mo Yeon were very frustrating at first, especially because Mo Yeon kept pushing Si Jin away, and couldn't make up her mind as to whether she would take the risk or not, but in the end they were very, very cute. It was reallly funny when Si Jin came back, and Mo Yeon skype called the other doctors and they were all freaking out because they thought Si Jin was a ghost (:'D).

Dae Young and Myung Joo were very adorable. I find their love story quite more romantic than Si Jin and Mo Yeon to be honest. The way Dae Young was holding back so much, and the way Myung Joo was constantly fighting to be with him. It kind of contrasts to Mo Yeon and Si Jin, because Mo Yeon really had nothing stopping her from being with Si Jin, yet she was being so indecisive, where as Dae Young culturally, and as his work position, could not be with her. I was a little frustrated with Dae Young because he had so much pride to begin with, and was making a lot about getting approval, and less about just being with Myung Joo as a woman of her own decisions. However, when her father finally gave his consent, that Dae Young had finally proven himself, it was very heart-warming. They are such a cute couple, big macho Jin Goo and fancy little Kim Ji Won. I love when Myung Joo does that chest hitting thing.

Dr Song is one of those comedic characters that are essential in any korean drama. His passion for Ha Jaeh was super cute. The funniest scene was probably when he went running around with all the soldiers with their shirts off to show off to her. Another cute scene was probably when Ha jae thought Dr Song was going to die and but he was half tricking her. It was nice to have some older romance going on.

 Daniel Spencer reminded me of Joshua from the kpop group Seventeen. Ye Hwa was very beautiful and I loved her accent. She was mysterious, but in a cool kind of way.  

Kim Gi-bum was so damn cute. His real name is Kim Minseok. His relationship with Dae Young was really special, especially at the end. You can also find Kim Minseok in the drama 'Doctors' which I've also done a discussion about.

Chi Hoon was whipping out all the dramatic scenes, so effectively that he made me cry every time (haha). That scene where Mo Yeon kept telling him to bite down on his back molars, and he when he did it made that fun noise and he did a cheeky smile at the same time - very cute. Chi Hoon is played by Onew of Shinee, and I am continuing to find out just how cool Shinee is.

There was a specific character that annoyed the hell out of me. Jin Young Soo, or as I referred to him as: the nasty diamond guy. Literally, he is the nastiest character I've ever come across, just so crazy. Every scene with him was hard to watch. That point when he ate the diamonds, then pooped them out then ate them again, I was literally in tears, like WHY. Of course you are going to get some fatal disease when you are eating something that came out of your own faeces. On top of that, he put so many people in danger because of those diamonds: first it was just when they were excavating, and then is was when he did that nasty thing. Myung Joo nearly died (that was very traumatising, by the way, I really thought she was going to die and I was going to chuck a fit because she's part of my favourite couple as you should know by now), and Chi Hoon did that insane jump on top of him and got bitten. Absolutely insane. Poor Chi Hoon. I kind of feel bad for the actor that had to play such a despicable character (haha).

  Argus was such a whiny villian, but he definitely had a scary face.   

Something I love about dots, is that they're really good at empathising with the viewers reactions; they make you feel a certain way and then get other characters to exact the response, like Dae Young wanting to kill the diamond guy - we were all thinking that.   

The ending of dots was really quite strange. When Onew stood up and started talking to the camera I was like "Oh nonono don't do that onew, don't be weird, sit back down".  And then there was a damn volcano eruption all of a sudden and I was like "are you kidding me?" It was such a weird way to end such a heart-tearing drama. Yet, they were all happy in the end, so it was quite satisfactory I guess (haha).

This drama took me on an 'earthquake like disaster' of emotions (lol), but I don't regret a thing. I got to meet such fun new actors. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, because once again, the hype for this drama was indeed warranted. 

Annyeong~

Lararara.