Your Lie in April ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso~ Part Two (anime) [Spoilers]

This is a continuation of Part One, where I just blurted out a mess of feelings because I had only just finished watching this anime.

[Disclaimer: once again, this discussion has a massive spoiler, even more than the previous part, so do not keep reading if you haven't watched this anime yourself. Please don't just ignore this warning.]

I'm back! Tadaima! ("Okaerinasai") xD
Okay so it's been a couple weeks now since I watched this magnificent piece of work, but hopefully I can complete this discussion and it will make sense ^_^

I guess what is important about this anime, is the melancholia, but the beauty of it. 

Why did I keep watching? Sure, I was in it for the romance, but it was more than that. This romance avoids the standard, regular stage of romance anime where the boy meets girl or vice versa, and they go through stages of becoming closer, having struggles, doing things like holding hands, confessing, kissing, being girlfriend and boyfriend. Sure there are moments, like side relationships and feelings, but the main focus of this story is not about that. It may not necessarily be about music either. Music is what connects Kousei and Kaori and all those other musicians. But they all were influenced by the feeling and grandeur of music, how it tells a hidden story in a way that can only be expressed through music. 

Let me write out the letter:

To: Arima Kousei-sama

It's weird writing a letter to someone who was just here with you. You're a terrible person. A dunce (goutsu). A blockhead (noruma). An idiot (anpontan).

I first saw your performance when I was five. It was at a recital at the piano school I was attending at the time. I remember a kid that bumped into the stool with his butt, got a couple of laughs, and looked at the piano that was too big for him.

The moment he played his first note, I became enthralled with him. The sounds were a colourful as a 24 colour palette, and the melody danced across the canvas. I was surprised when the girl next to me started crying.

And to think you stopped playing the piano. Especially after moving someone like that? You're terrible.

"I'm gonna stop playing the piano and become a violinist! I want Kousei to play the piano for me!"

You're the worst. You blockhead. You idiot.

When I found out we were going to the same middle school, I was overjoyed. "I wonder how to best approach you", "Maybe a casual encounter at the school shop during lunch?" But all I was doing was just watching you from afar. I mean, you guys seemed happy, just the way you were. There wasn't any space for me.

I had an operation as a child, so I had to periodically go back for check-ups. I collapsed in my first year of middle school, and found myself hospitalised again. I was spending more time in hospital, and less time at school. I knew that my body was frail and weak.

One day, I saw my mother and father crying in the waiting room. That's when I knew that my time was limited. That was the spark. That's when I started running. To make sure I had no regrets before leaving, I did what I wanted to. Wearing those contact lens that I was always afraid of. Eating cake without worrying about my weight. Ignoring the rules of the score and playing music how I wanted to play it.

And I also told a single lie. [Bullseye!]

That Miyazono Kaori was in love with Watari Ryouta.

And that lie brought you to me.

Apologise to Watari for me. Well if it's Watari, he might forget about me pretty quick. As a friend, he's great, but I took a fancy to more straightforward, earnest people. And apologise to Tsubaki for me. I didn't want to make her feel conflicted or awkward at all. Though, asking her to just straight up introduce me to you probably wouldn't have worked. Because Tsubaki was in love with you. Everyone knew. Well, everyone except you and Tsubaki herself.

My lie had brought you before me, but you weren't what I was expecting. You were more boring, lonely and opinionated that I pictured you. Your voice was lower and more manly than I thought. You were a much more friendly person than I thought.

When we jumped off the bridge together, it felt so cold and refreshing, didn't it?

The moon from the music room looked like a meat bun you could reach out and eat.

When we raced that train, I honestly thought we could make it.

When we sung Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star under the night sky... That was fun wasn't it?

There's something about hiding at school at night. Snow looks a lot like cherry blossom petals falling, doesn't it?

I'm a musician, yet my heart is filled with emotions beyond the stage... It's funny, isn't it?

 It's strange that I can't forget the little things. (Not at all.) How about you? 

I hope that I found a place in someone's heart. (You did.) 

I hope that I found my place in your heart. (You built it yourself.) 

I hope you'll remember me, even just a little bit. (Even if I forgot you, you'd become a ghost and haunt me.) 

I don't want to reset what we had. (Me neither.) 

Don't forget about me. (Nn.) 

Promise? (Nn.)

I'm so glad it was you. Did I reach you? I hope so. I truly hope so.

Arima Kousei, I love you. I love you. I love you. (Arima Kousei-kun. Kimi ga suki desu. Suki desu! Suki desu!) I'm sorry I couldn't finish the canales. I'm sorry for hitting you so much. I'm sorry for always being so selfish. I'm really sorry. (Ippai, Ippai gomene)

Thankyou. (Arigatou.)

P.S I've attached my personal treasure. If you decide you don't want it, please throw it away. [It's a picture of Kaori as a little kid with the other girl pianist and Kousei in the background.]

Whew! That took some time, but it was worth it. There's not much more to say after reading that letter again. It speaks for itself. Kaori covers everything special. Well maybe there's a few things she forgot, but most of the things I wanted to write about.

I can't help but wonder if things worked out for Tsubaki and Kousei in the end. I mean, that's kind of what it implied at the end of the anime, Kousei meets up with Tsubaki just as he finishes reading Kaori's letter. 

It's also that fact that nothing typically romantic happened between them (Kousei and Kaori), that makes everything hurt so bad. But like I said before, it means so much more because of it, and I am truly grateful that I was able to watch this very beautiful anime. It is like a little piece of someone's heart. They've shown it to us and now we must cherish it, and I know that I will. 

I've watched and read quite an amount of anime and manga, and this stretched right to the top of my charts. It may have only been a few days, but this will always be a special anime to me, like each an every one I've experienced has their own little significance to me, so will this, and a beautiful significance it has.