Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Unfortunately, Miren and Cowdry's conversation came to an end when Edsel swept the woman away. But before Miren could die of high school, social-event induced boredom, her phone vibrated. And even though the message was from the vampire queen that was Penelope, she couldn't have been happier. Halleluiah?

Truthfully, she didn't know what else she could pry from Penelope, but as she crossed the dance hall and made her way to the courtyard, she realized that this encounter wouldn't be a one or a second time thing. She'd have to meet with Penelope until she had a solid case against her. With hope, the whole ordeal would only take a few weeks or a month. Then she'd be free.

Hopefully.

The night air was brisk, but the space was exceptionally well lit. It was large enough to offer ample seating areas, as well as some snow-covered shrubbery that gave some of the chairs an air of privacy, despite the large windows that lined two of the walls. Miren rubbed her hands for warmth as she saw Penelope wave at her. Miren suppressed her urge to vomit as she waved back. If she didn't think about their last encounter—how horrible Penelope was to her—then maybe she could do this. She shook her head. I can do this.

"What brings you out here?" Miren began, holding her breath. Penelope smiled bitterly. 

"Some new girl wanted to talk to Parker about Miren for some reason," the other girl replied, taking a seat on the terrace. "She looked at me as if she already knew I was a bad person or something, and I didn't even say a word to her."

"You know how the rumor mill is," Miren assured her, not quite sure why she was assuring her of anything. "Without context, you can paint anyone as a monster."

"But I am a monster." Penelope folded her arms, but it was hard to tell whether she was just cold or upset. "A girl is dead because of me."

"You didn't kill her," Miren said, fighting the urge to roll her eyes. "But why don't you tell me why you feel so responsible?"

To Miren's unsurprise, Penelope was basically vague as fuck, either reiterating what she had the other night on their date-thing, or just talking about her feelings. Garbage.

"I don't know what's wrong with me." Penelope bit her lip. "It's like, what happened between us was so long ago that I can barely remember why we broke apart. Yet, I feel all this anger toward her and Parker. I don't know why my mind is so cloudy. It makes me want to beat my head against a wall." She tapped her knuckles against her head a few times. "Maybe my meds need to be recalibrated."

Meds? Miren narrowed her eyes. She remembered the file that they stole during homecoming. It said she had some type of depression before. Miren wanted to beat her head against a wall too. Why hadn't she researched it further? Wallace had the file now. And who knew where the hell he was?

"If you don't mind me asking, what medication do you take?" Miren probably looked too eager, but she took it as a good sign when Penelope nodded.

"Just Xanax, probably like every other parent-wannabe-clone that goes here." She laughed a little, but Miren could still sense some tenseness behind it. "I stopped taking it after the play ordeal, but I can feel myself getting anxious to the point of insanity."

You and me both. Miren blinked at the girl. "Have you been on any depression meds? I had to take them after my brother passed."

Penelope shook her head. Miren clenched her jaw. She was lying. But prying would only seal her up completely.

"Well, thanks for being honest. You didn't have to open up."