Chapter 38

Chapter 38

            It wasn't the worst evening of Miren's life, but the idea of driving thirty minutes to the only vegan restaurant of Penelope's "culinary calibar" was still sort of horrible. The Asian-inspired establishment, Yasai, was one of those trendy-casual looking places that still probably cost a pretty penny. Despite everything, Miren was relatively optimistic. The only thing that would make shit real would be if Pen wised up and discovered her secret. But Miren had greater hope for greater causes.

            "Sorry I made you go so out of the way," Penelope said as she sipped her green tea. "The last thing I need is someone from our schools making their own conclusions."

            What do you know? Penelope's capable of humility. Miren shrugged. "I'm just glad to get off campus. You know there's nothing to do in this town, right?"

            "I think that's why the nuns have no problem assigning our weight in homework." Penelope folded her arms. "But something tells me we're not having dinner to discuss homework." She gave Miren a slightly flirtaous smile. "So talk, Miles."

            "You don't have to do that," Miren said, shaking her head. "Why flirt with me when you already have a boyfriend? I'm not saying you two should break up, or that I'm even interested, but—"

            "But what?" Penelope looked slightly annoyed now. "Didn't you ask me out to talk?"

            "Only because I was concerned." Miren brought out her phone, showed her a fake image of her—Miles—and a slightly older male. All courteousy of Photoshop. "My older brother, Melvin, was bullied in the same fashion you seem to be. He came out as gay in high school and was bullied relentlessly because of it. People pranked him, made a spectacle of him. My parents eventually moved him to a school out of state. Told him to keep who he was a secret and start over. Within three months he committed suicide." Miren's sullen eyes found Penelope's. "I know you're stronger than him, but I don't want you going down the same path because of some idiots who won't let some girl's death go."

            "But what if those idiots are right?" Penelope's head fell down. She didn't even look up when the waiter offered them their meatless entrees. Miren raised an eyebrow in mock suspicion.

            "Are you saying that you're somewhat responsible for what happened with that girl?" Miren pressed her lips together. "I mean, I saw the YouTube video. Hell, even the video at the performance, and it seemed like she was troubled."

            "She was," Penelope replied rather dejectedly.

            "Did you have anything to do with it?" the girl in drag said, hopefully not coming off too strong, too desperate. It was just that she was so close to getting what she needed. This was not the time for Penelope to be playing hard to get! Miren offered her a supportive look. "Just be honest with me. I have nothing to gain or lose from your response. If I told you all the fucked up shit I've done, you'd probably be running in the other direction. " She smiled a little, hoping Penelope would come out of her shell. With a sigh, she did.

            "I did," Penelope admitted. "I made her life hell. I'm like those people who tortured your brother."

            Bull's eye!

            It was hard to keep from cheering, let alone staying composed. "How so?"

            "I think it's pretty much self-explanatory."  Penelope brushed a hand through her auburn locks. "I splashed her with diet soda in the hallway practically every day. There were even a bunch of girls who were so desperate for my attention that they followed in my example. They'd cause accidents in the mess hall, in the hallway, whenever they had the chance, really. And don't get me started on the Rising Scholar Award Assembly."